Discuss Interesting three way conversion to two way and swap for time lag. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

you could do with a old timer
Nah the problem is sorted just thought I'd throw it out there for a bit of light entertainment. Lets just say it's thinking outside the box, or cutting the gordian knot. I just thought it might be good for trainees to have a think about as it's the sort of thing we come across all the time and have to think it through.

Well maybe not.
threeway3.jpg Ok if I go with the idea the yellow is the sw. return which was my first thought. Where does the mystery wire go? Maybe it is another feed to another light. But anyway the thing is, is it possible to do away with the first switch and run a master/slave time lag. And by the way at the light fitting it is a red cable as the sw. return. I know this is all a bit silly as I said just a bit of fun.

It's late and I've had a few birthday beers tonight, but my thoughts are to run 2 masters rather than master and a slave.

Doesn't look like you have enough wires otherwise.

Does the live out (red) go to an Em light ?

Does the live out (red) go to an Em light
Sw 1 picks up its L from the adjacent grid switch, which is a fish key switch for the emergency lights with a separate supply to the emergency lights on the same circuit. If you switch off the fish key switch emergencies and lights on stairs go out together. Any yes it is a bit late to think this through.

Last edited by a moderator:
2 masters rather than master and a slave
In order to run anything you would have to have a live and switch return. If I do away with sw. 1 there will be no live at sw. 2 and sw. 3. Anyway I had hoped some trainees would seize on this and lead the way. Shame they have not. I really don't want to make everything too obvious.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyway the two way switching is not the issue and is a complete red herring which I did not want to say but there I've blurted it out now as I'm getting tired. First off the whole of the two way switching would be disposed of. For a master and slave or master and master you only need two cables. Just a clue to the clueless.

Reply to Interesting three way conversion to two way and swap for time lag. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net