Discuss Interesting three way conversion to two way and swap for time lag. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

If your getting rid of switch 1 you could just join the lives through or Wago to give you a Perm live switch 2.
Although i didnt go into detail i meant to say It's easy enough to get a Perm L and Switch wire at switch 2&3 with what you have.

Old skool time lag switch wiring ?

## edit just saw you posted.

Last edited:
The yellow must be the switch return else it wouldn't have worked originally
so switch 3 will have yellow in L1 with the blue strapper (that gives you a switch L at switch 2)

At switch 2 put the other strapper in with the Perm live ( this gives a perm live back to switch 3.

Your end up with a spare unused strapper at switch 2 from switch 1.

Switch 2 Perm L and Switch Live
Switch 3 perm L and Switch Live
2 master time lags, but I don't believe your be able to use a master and a slave as dont they use signal wires ( I haven't looked at specs) ?

Last edited:
If I remove the L at sw. 1 the circuit is completely dead. Sw. 3 yellow in common may (sensibly) be the switch return. What then is the other red in sw. 1 common? As I say we do not really have to worry about the two way/intermediate switching as it would be redundant. Master requires L and sw. return. Slave requires L and signal return to master (two wires) If I use switch 3 I still need a L and Sw. return. I am still thinking about your proposal with the way you say to do it. But at the moment it's like that film where the chalice in the palace is the lotion with the potion etc. (Danny Kaye I think)

Last edited by a moderator:
How are we supposed to know where it goes? For all we know it goes to feed another switch/light. The way I see it is with the limited description of how it's connected and an educated guess you don't have enough cores to wire it as master and Slave but standard time lag switches would be the sensible thing to of installed as it would of been as simple as connecting the Lines and switch lines in parralel across th switches. You say you've got it working master and slave...did you have a magic wand or are we missing the obvious? From your posts I gather it's something to do with the red with the question mark in your diagram? I don't know how we are expected to have a scooby doo where it goes?

Ok just to stop all speculation I installed sensor lights and arranged a permanent live and blanked off all switches. Sorry if you found this frustrating. As I intimated you would get to the point that it can't be done as you do not have enough cables and you would have to think of something else. I did not want to say this as I thought maybe some trainees would try to work it out. But there you go. Oh and I did not say I got it working with master and slave. I just said I got it working and thought outside the box. I was trying not to say what I did do. Anyway there is no way to get the live up to sw. 2 and 3 with returns for both as there are not enough cables. Hence screw all the above just fit sensors. Unless you want to go and find the mythical junction box which believe me you would not want to given the possible location and circumstances.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok just to stop all speculation I installed sensor lights and arranged a permanent live and blanked off all switches. Sorry if you found this frustrating. As I intimated you would get to the point that it can't be done as you do not have enough cables and you would have to think of something else. I did not want to say this as I thought maybe some trainees would try to work it out. But there you go. Oh and I did not say I got it working with master and slave. I just said I got it working and thought outside the box. I was trying not to say what I did do. Anyway there is no way to get the live up to sw. 2 and 3 with returns for both as there are not enough cables. Hence screw all the above just fit sensors. Unless you want to go and find the mythical junction box which believe me you would not want to given the possible location and circumstances.
You could of just used standard time lag switches and got it working.

Yes I agree you could get it working but that would be based on the premise that the yellow is the sw. return. Logic says it is but empirical evidence does not confirm that so bang test it is then and who cares where the red cable goes from sw. 1 common. (Joking!)

Reply to Interesting three way conversion to two way and swap for time lag. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock