Discuss Interior lights / door jamb switches in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Good morning all, this is my first post on what looks to be a great source of knowledge. I am not an electrician but I do enjoy trying to sort these little issues but I am not sure where to start with this.
I have a 2007 Isuzu pick up. The interior lights do not come on when the doors are opened. The 2 lights do work as they can be switched on and yes I've made sure the switch is set to work when doors are opened. I've put a meter on each of the 4 door switches. I get 12v at drivers door and only about 0.4 at each of the other 3 so something is amiss there. When I activate the switches the reading drops so I guess the switches are functioning? Does this sound like an earth issue somewhere?
Any help or ideas where to look would be much appreciated.

basically, the lights have a permanent +12v to 1 side. when a door is opened, it shorts the other side to 0V. with a door open, you should not see +12V at the door switch.

basically, the lights have a permanent +12v to 1 side. when a door is opened, it shorts the other side to 0V. with a door open, you should not see +12V at the door switch.
Thanks telectrix. So could my drivers door switch be the problem?

Not necessarily, this was the case on older cars, but new cars are different, as the interior lights come on when the car is unlocked and fade off / time delay when doors shut etc. The diagram below is from a Vauxhall and 41 shows the interior light, as you can see there is only one earth supply to the light and multiple positive feeds to activate the lights when doors opened, switch set to “on” etc.
Check wiring connections at light fitting first

Interior lights / door jamb switches 0E5591BA-04C3-455B-9FAE-AB3E023E9564 - EletriciansForums.net

Reply to Interior lights / door jamb switches in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock