Discuss Intermediate advice! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Need a bit of help please. Wired a 2 way from upstairs to downstairs then customer wanted a 2 way to side of the bed, obviously didn't think it through enough! At the minute i've got mains and switch wire at top of stairs for downlighters and a three core going downstairs and one going to the side of the bed . I want all three switches to work the downlighters. I've never wired an intermediate without mains and switch wire at the first switch and then an inter in the middle before. Is there any way of getting them to work with an intermediate switch at the top of the stairs and the mains and switch wire going into that if you could talk me through it that would be great.

Connect intermediate as normal, pick one side of the intermediate, connect feed in and out to one of the strappers and connect switch line to the other strapper, connect neutrals in a wago or similar, sleeve conductors appropriately and connect earths appropriately.

If you have the three core going downstairs and then to the side of bed isn't the easiest way to make the downstairs the intermediate with the common joined through in a connector?

If you have the three core going downstairs and then to the side of bed isn't the easiest way to make the downstairs the intermediate with the common joined through in a connector?
The way I read it is the OP has fed the switch on landing then taken a 3c+e to downstairs and also a 3c+e to the side of the bed from the landing switch. So there is just a 3c+e at the bed another downstairs and the landing has feed in, feed out, switch line, 3c+e to downstairs and 3c+e to side of bed. Making the landing switch intermediate that is also fed.

Having the incoming supply to the middle switch at the top of the stairs is electrically identical to having the incoming supply at one of the two way switches.
LeeSparkyKent has done the job simply and clearly it took me more time to draw a diagram but I have drawn it now so I am posting it!
View attachment 40829
Thought that was a few bars of music, Rich........'till I blew it up. Nearly got the violin out.:cool:

Reply to Intermediate advice! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net