Discuss Intermediate Light Switch Wiring - L1, L2, L3, L4 vs. L1, L1, L2, L2 in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi all,

New to the forum. Been around a little while viewing and can usually find the answers I need, but not on this occasion.

Currently have an intermediate switch on the top of the landing and after decorating have purchased a new switch, though the terminals are labelled different.

Could anyone give any advise to help?

Current switch
Intermediate Light Switch Wiring - L1, L2, L3, L4 vs. L1, L1, L2, L2 {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

New switch
Intermediate Light Switch Wiring - L1, L2, L3, L4 vs. L1, L1, L2, L2 {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

The brown and blue of one t&e in 1 and 2 at the top of the switch... the other brown and blue in 1 and 2 at the bottom.

The earth wires of the 2 t&e cables should be sleeved and connected together and connected to the metal back box if there is one

Last edited:
Makes you think that at the very least the continuity of cpc could do with checking out throughout the circuit, and any other circuit the installer has had their paws on.
Agreed...If I was the OP I would have it checked out because the original installer was definitely not an electrician judging by that pic.

New, and very poorly done for that matter wiring into an old switch. What exactly is going on here? That needs sorted out, sort out the Earths and sleeve that blue it's burning my eyes looking at it

The way that the plastering has been done with the switch plate in situ bugs me. Like papering and painting around sockets and switches, get them off the wall first!!!

There isn't a 3rd core if there's Brown and Blue.
I think what Murdoc was getting at is that usually there would be 2 x 3 core and earth cables going into an intermediate switch as there would be a conductor linking the coms of the other 2 way switches.
There could be a single linking them but also the earth may be getting used for that which would need to be changed.

I think what Murdoc was getting at is that usually there would be 2 x 3 core and earth cables going into an intermediate switch as there would be a conductor linking the coms of the other 2 way switches.
There could be a single linking them but also the earth may be getting used for that which would need to be changed.

I was just preempting the next question being, my 2 way and intermediate switch aren't working - any suggestions:)

I suspect its a central joint box in the property. Only needs 2 twins at an intermediate, 3 cores to the 2 way switches and a twin to the light...

OP please confirm, 3 switches controlling the same light(s)

I suspect its a central joint box in the property. Only needs 2 twins at an intermediate, 3 cores to the 2 way switches and a twin to the light...

OP please confirm, 3 switches controlling the same light(s)

the photo shows new colour cables - only a numptie would wire to a central joint box these days ...

just saying.

If there’s a feed at each switch and the switch wire is also taken from one of the switches then you would only need twin and earth in between.

Reply to Intermediate Light Switch Wiring - L1, L2, L3, L4 vs. L1, L1, L2, L2 in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock