Discuss intermediate switch in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hello there,

been to a job today where the customer has a fault with an intermediate switch. Instead of being an inter switch it looks like it has been wired incorrectly with the intermediate switch acting as a two way for the other two switches. Also at the intermediate switch the feed for the lights goes to this switch instead of the first switch of the intermediate.

What i wont to ask is that is it possible to take the lighting feed to the intermediate switch and still be able to get a working intermediate switch.

many thanks

No i cant see this working as the intermediate a technically the straps from the other 2 ways switches. So the the feed must be to one of the 2 way switches first

No i cant see this working as the intermediate a technically the straps from the other 2 ways switches. So the the feed must be to one of the 2 way switches first

It does actually work, and I have done this at home due to an oversight with the wiring, and the intermediate switch was the only accessible switch.

Assuming the wiring is a typical three plate, with a twin cable from the light point to the intermediate switch, and three core cables going to the two way switches it will work.

Connect the feed to L1 and switched live to L2 (two connections side by side, top or bottom). Strappers to each 2 way as normal, and the common from each 2 way is joint using connector / crimp at intermediate switch.

Yes you can take the live and switched live to the intermediate switch, connect them to the either the L1 side or L2 side. It is exactly the same as taking them to the L1 and L2 at the 2way switch

so, basically , adam, that method is the same as if the L and S/L were connected in L1 and L2 of either 2 way switch. as the strappers connect L1's and L2's of all 3 switches.

edit: beaten by fast fingers billy. :74:

It does actually work, and I have done this at home due to an oversight with the wiring, and the intermediate switch was the only accessible switch.

Assuming the wiring is a typical three plate, with a twin cable from the light point to the intermediate switch, and three core cables going to the two way switches it will work.

Connect the feed to L1 and switched live to L2 (two connections side by side, top or bottom). Strappers to each 2 way as normal, and the common from each 2 way is joint using connector / crimp at intermediate switch.
I offen do this! But you can only do it on the first or last intermediate switch, say if you have 3 you can't do it off the middle one

I offen do this! But you can only do it on the first or last intermediate switch, say if you have 3 you can't do it off the middle one

Why?

It doesn't matter where along the strappers the live and sw live are connected as they are going to be closed or open depending on switch positions.

If one of the first intermediate switches is in the wrong position you don't have the perm live to l1 as the first switch put it on l2. Trust me I've been there. Draw a circuit you'll see what I mean.

From original post we are talking abaut the feed only

The OP may only mention the feed, but I am sure there will be a switched live there too. The client also mentioned that it worked previously so I would assume the switch has been replaced or tampered with.

If one of the first intermediate switches is in the wrong position you don't have the perm live to l1 as the first switch put it on l2. Trust me I've been there. Draw a circuit you'll see what I mean.

I am going to have to now, lol.
It's not that I don't believe you, but I need to see why it wouldn't work.

I had to draw a circuit when I first had to use this method as I wasn't 100% certain it was going to work.

intermediate switch D1 - EletriciansForums.net
Just done a quick drawing...if the feed is fed to any of the strappers on of the 2 way switches would be obsolete

Reply to intermediate switch in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock