Discuss Intermediate switching in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

mark ju

I have recently wired a light with intermediate switching.
when I turn on the light at one switch its fine, but when I operate the next switch it goes off! Then if I go and operate the next switch it comes on! But then if I go back to the first switch and operate that one the light goes off! What's happening?

Made me smile too when I saw it. One of the slightly more creative ones.:)
Glad you liked it. First saw light of day several years back when a contracts manager of ours who was a total knob and right up himself went to a works award thingy. I gave him a couple of hours to get stuck into the free booze then text him with the intermediate "problem".
I forgot he was also a worrier and got a rather slurred and panicky telephone call back!
He forgot that I had been tube bashing on the same job for a few months and were nowhere near getting anything live!

Sounds Like in the intermediate switch the incoming L1 and L2 and outgoing L1 and L2 are crossed swap the L1's around.

The OP admitted to the post being a wind up! Re-read the first post - it's an intermediate lighting circuit working perfectly!

PS - Welcome to the forum :smiley2:

Sounds Like in the intermediate switch the incoming L1 and L2 and outgoing L1 and L2 are crossed swap the L1's around.

You can't do that, then the first switch will be off when it should be on, and the others will all be the wrong way round too.

On a serious note: does everyone wire their 2-way switching so that the lights can be off when both switches are in the usual 1-way 'off' position, or am I being too picky? My colleague laughed like a drain when I pointed out one of his 2-way switches was upside down! To me it looks crap if the lights are off and one switch is up and one down.

Last edited by a moderator:
On a serious note: does everyone wire their 2-way switching so that the lights can be off when both switches are in the usual 1-way 'off' position, or am I being too picky? My colleague laughed like a drain when I pointed out one of his 2-way switches was upside down! To me it looks crap if the lights are off and one switch is up and one down.

I always do the same, thought it was just me!

and how long do you expect the switch positions to remain synchronized ?
1 hr ?
1 day ?
a pointless exercise unless the homeowner is willing to run back and forth between switch points.
;-)

Reply to Intermediate switching in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net