Discuss Intermediate wiring with Trendi Switch in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

sphannaby

The Mrs has picked Trendi Switch as her choice for all our sockets and switches throughout the house.
Everything OK on most parts except for when it comes to 3 way lighting circuits.
Opened up one of there intermediate switches and it didn't look right, also there was no technical information in the box.
Rang Trendi who said there intermediate was a little bit different and I would have to 'do a bit of manipulation to get it to work' and they would send me a drawing of what needed doing.
I have attached this to the post.

From this drawing I figured out that their version of an intermediate is actually just 2 sets of 2G1W modules which are actuated by the same switch.
As you will see this requires a feed in and feed out at switches 1 and 3 in a 3 way lighting circuit.
I have 1st fixed as I normally would for a 3 way circuit with: switch 1 having a 2core for feed/lamp out and a 3 core out to next switch; switch 2 having 2 sets of 3 cores to strap this between switch 1 and 3, switch 3 just having the 3 core from switch 2.

My fault I guess as i should have tried to find technical data before ordering but 1st fix was done before the Mrs decided exactly which switches she was going for.

I've spoke with Trendi and mentioned to them this is not what I would class as standard for intermediate wiring and they didn't really seem to care and said they would have a 'proper' intermediate in grid format out possibly by the middle of next year!

Any one have any thoughts on if this is at all possible to wire in this type of switch as a standard intermediate as I've racked my brains and can't think of anything.

RAW-DIAGRAM.jpg

I am not sure what you class as proper intermediate switch wiring.
However the diagram below shows the interlinking of two two way switches to provide an intermediate switch operation when wiring the circuit as a three wire switching arrangement.
It is critical that the two switches do operate as one unit and cannot operate independently so I would not recommend this for any set of two way switches.
Intermediate switch vs 2 two way.jpg

looking at what he's got and the amaxon link, it seems as if it's 2 x 2way switches but both operated by a single rocker, in which case i think richar's diagram will work.

I'll describe it as I don't have a decent drawing prog.

For the Intermediate I assume it's a pair of 1 gang 2 way not 2 gang 1 way as you put?

If so,
For the Intermediate link L1 on one switch to L2 on the other, you've now got 2 in 2 out as an intermediate would be.
As long as both switches are switched at the same time the function is an intermediate.
Rockers straight through or rockers crossed.

Use the 2 of the 3 cores as a pair of rockers switch point 1 to 2 to 3
Use the 3rd core to get the Switch wire (lamp out) back to switch point 1

CRAP beaten to it.

Yeah sorry guys I wasn't really too clear in my descriptions, I've been a bit stressed and working long daystrying to get the house ready to move in!
Now I see it drawn out I'm annoyed I didn't get it myself.

Much appreciated.

Reply to Intermediate wiring with Trendi Switch in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net