Discuss Intermittent beep on heat alarm in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi everyone.
This is my first time on here so please be kind :hurray:
I have a problem with a new house I wired last summer. The first 6 months all was fine, then all of a sudden the heat alarm in the kitchen started to beep intermittently. I have replaced the alarm twice and both smoke heads without any luck. Then I have replaced every alarm with a different make and still the heat alarm beeps. It does it once in a day then nothing for a couple of days, then it might chirp twice. I have tested all of the wiring and everything is clear. The heat alarm is in mid circuit between 2 smokes. All I can think it might be is that the customer is doing something to cause it to beep but I have no idea what. Has anyone got any other ideas? Also has anyone else ever had a similar problem?
Many thanks
Trevor.

An intermittent beep on a smoke or heat alarm, normally suggest the internal battery is low on charge, (I'm sure you would know his as an electrician/householder), but you say you have replaced the alarm. What type of alarm have you installed and who is the manufacturer, perhaps they could advise?

The original fitment was Deta... and now I have fitted Aico... thats my next move is to call the Deta technical dept today.... its just really doing my head in now

The original fitment was Deta... and now I have fitted Aico... thats my next move is to call the Deta technical dept today.... its just really doing my head in now

why would you ring Deta if you have now fitted Aico..... Unless you have both types connected together?

If you have replaced all the alarms and have tried 2 different manf's then I don't see how both sets could have exactly the same fault. Thinking along other lines here - could it be something else that is beeping? An old smoke alarm somewhere else? Something hidden? Also, you didn't fit pound shop backup batteries did you? Daz

Possibility of a break in a conductor supplying that detector?
I have twice been called out to jobs due to beeping. One turned out to be an electronic alarm clock on the bedside table, the other was a new dishwasher of which they hadn't realised made sounds.

I called Deta as they originally had the fault (called them with no luck either)... i tried aico to see if a different make would change things but obviously not. There is power to all 3 alarms... correct polarity etc...and all 3 alarms sound on test mode.... the house was a new build last year and is occupied by a retired couple and the house is clean an tidy....

All batteries are new and the heat alarm is connected mid circuit, all conductors have been checked for continuity , insulation resistance etc... im still thinking that there is an external force causing this problem but its identifying it

How about rigging a temporary supply (from a mains plug/flex) to the heat detector in question and see if it still does it. This will prove whether it's the detector being triggered by something spurious, or something in the wiring. Struggling to see what though. Daz

Have your heard the cheap yourself, or relying on your customer? If that's the case I'm with the others on another cause for the noise. They haven't got a budgie!

Had something very similar a while ago while the heating was on and the house was warm all was ok when it cooled down the beep started after some investigation a builder had lowered a ceiling and left an old battery smoke detector on the old ceiling

Take all smoke and heat down.....go back in 48 hours, and I bet they tell you there still bleeping.
The only time a heat will bleep, is when its in hush mode

Take all smoke and heat down.....go back in 48 hours, and I bet they tell you there still bleeping.
The only time a heat will bleep, is when its in hush mode

You never heard about sod's law.. :shocked3:

[video=youtube;ogdnxOvfnd4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogdnxOvfnd4[/video]

Reply to Intermittent beep on heat alarm in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net