Discuss Intermittent disturbance on Sunny Boy inverter in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

SolarCity

-
Arms
Reaction score
Has anyone had any issues with Sunny Boy inverters before? We've had one playing up on us for the last couple of weeks. On a couple of occassions now, we have had "Disturbance" come up on the inverter. I haven't been there to witness it so can't give any more information. The inverter has shut down for an hour at a time while this is happening.

Could this be something from the grid?

I'm visiting site on Saturday morning. Earliest I can get there. I need to speak to SMA technical, really, but it would be pointless unless I was stood in front of the inverter. Hoped that someone else may have come across a similar problem and could suggest a solution. If it's something to do with the DNO then I know I'm in for a nightmare.

Has anyone had any issues with Sunny Boy inverters before? We've had one playing up on us for the last couple of weeks. On a couple of occassions now, we have had "Disturbance" come up on the inverter. I haven't been there to witness it so can't give any more information. The inverter has shut down for an hour at a time while this is happening.

Could this be something from the grid?

I've just looked in the manual and found this

DISTURBANCE This error is generated for safety reasons and prevents the Sunnyboy from connecting to the grid

Corrective measures contact SMA Solar Technology Serviceline

you'll have to phone them I found them to be very good they rang back straightaway (+49 561 9522 1499) or email ([email protected])

I had a problem on Monday, customer who's system was installed last week called to ask why his inverter had inexplicably shut down for 2 hours during the day on Saturday. The inverter is an SB3000HF

I called SMA support in Germany and had a long chat with a very knowledgeable and friendly engineer. He reckoned that grid problems were most likely to have triggered an under/over voltage/frequency shutdown. The inverter knows why it shut down but only an SMA engineer can access that, everyone else needs to witness the error code at the time of the shutdown.

We discussed options for troubleshooting and the common solution used in Germany is that installation engineers have their own bluetooth webbox and leave it on a customer site for the first couple of weeks. The installer then can monitor the system and has a record of any error messages. They then call back and collect the box and perhaps sell them one as well.

I asked for an SB4000HF to deal with larger systems without needing to to TL and for the sunny explorer to be able to email error codes to the installer. I was asked to put my requests for product development into an email which I did.

We left it that the customer would monitor the system (with their Sunny Beam) they can easily see any shutdown periods on the display. If the problem re-occurs then I will buy a webbox and monitor the error codes remotely.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the info, fellas. If things go well today then I should be able to get there this afternoon and give SMA a ring. I will let you know what the outcome is - if there is one.

Managed to get out there this afternoon and it looks like it might be a grid problem.

We measured a voltage of 258v (although we measured 247v when we tested originally) and we think this may be why the inverter is kicking out. If the voltage is fluctuating then there is a good chance it's going above 260v and therefore beyond the tolerance of the inverter. I rang the DNO this afternoon and they are going out to look out at on Monday morning.

I am having a bit of an issue with a 3000tl at the moment- grid disturbance code 4- which is "Check the power supply line for strong, short-term frequency variations."
Anybody else ever had frequency issues? Had a few issues with grid disturbance faults on the TL's such which has led to upgrading of cables on a job I was commisioning as a subbie- 3.92kwp on a 2.5mm and another one which ended up with a new earth rod. Never had frequency though. I thought frequency was pretty stable in most places

The only issue we have had with an install was with a Sunnyboy TL3000 which would inexplicably shut down for anything from 20 minutes to an hour, it turned out that the two rotary switches inside the control panel were set to '0/0', which is the standard German setting, instead of '5/8' which is the UK setting. This caused the inverter to shut down whenever the grid voltage went above 250v according to the very helpful German engineer we spoke to.

The only issue we have had with an install was with a Sunnyboy TL3000 which would inexplicably shut down for anything from 20 minutes to an hour, it turned out that the two rotary switches inside the control panel were set to '0/0', which is the standard German setting, instead of '5/8' which is the UK setting. This caused the inverter to shut down whenever the grid voltage went above 250v according to the very helpful German engineer we spoke to.

Bloody hell, This is gonna make me sound a bit stupid now but I thought they were just for the sunny display address.

The SunnyBeam / Sunny Explorer is usually just the 'C' dial.

BiggsSolar, get the client to check site volts (with cheapo plug-in power meter) to see if this is the problem? This is the only problem I have ever had (except German set inverters )

I just wanted to say thanks to the contributors to this thread as it has helped me with my system. I had a Sunny Boy 4000TL installed in early November and suffered about 2 outages per day due to "grid disturbance", with the inverter cutting out for about 11 minutes each time whilst it checked the grid voltage. By switching off and on again (on the AC) side I was able to get the start up message indicating German voltage settings ( I got ADJ rather than G83/1).

I also monitored the grid voltage which at that time was about 245-250 volts (it has since dropped to about 240-245 and I am close to my substation). As the G83/1 upper limit is 253 volts (230 + 10%), I was fairly sure that the inverter was set wrongly. After sum digging, I found that the inverter had been imported to the UK set to German voltages (which I guess must be about 250 max), but the importer assumed it was set to UK voltages as did the installer. SMA claim that the voltage setting should have been on a label on the box, but neither I nor the installer saw it. Unfortunately, after about 12 hours, the inverter protects itself from adjustment so that the country voltage settings cannot be reset using the mechanical dials (these should be 5 and 8 for the UK and were 0 and 0: the default). I have finally got the installers back who spent about 2 hours resetting it to G83/1 via security code (from SMA who were very helpful) and blue-tooth to the inverter. If only SMA had put a label on the inverter itself stating the factory setting, or the importer had done the same, or the installer had checked the setting and reset via the dials .... life would have been a lot simpler: but hey, I have learned a lot about the Sunny Boy, the European grid settings etc. The voltage limits are now 100-207 minimum and 264-280 maximum which should be fine.

I hope this helps others with the same issue.
Regards
Vaughan

I find it disturbing that installers are installing SMA inverters without reading the installation manual. It is quite clear that the correct country standard and language setting should be checked before commissioning.
My teams are all trained to check this both physically when installing the inverter and on commissioning when the display first comes to life. It should state that it is set to English language and then G83/1.

Hi All

My 4000TL keeps cutting out with a grid disturbance every few days and the red fault light comes on.

When that happens, it does not reset but stays off and gives no output, sometimes all day.

I think the installers set it to GB settings because we checked it at the time of installation and it was in German or something (it does say English now) but I did notice that it also says C10/11.

I didn't notice it saying G83/1 so is it maybe set wrongly?

My Sunnybeam registers grid disturbances once or twice every day but it only cuts the inverter out evry few days.

I have emailed SMA support (thanks for the contact info further up the thread) but do you guys have any suggestions?

Cheers

Dave

I believe C10/11 is Belgium's settings. SMA inverters can be set to any country's setting yet be forced into English language. Sounds to me that this is what is happening.

Your installer will need to get the code. You won't be able to get one yourself as the end user.

Hi

The system was installed via my own company. My company purchased all the kit and the installers fitted it. I subcontracted the installers so effectively, I am the supplier/installer.

I take it I will definately need a code to change it?

Cheers

Dave

Reply to Intermittent disturbance on Sunny Boy inverter in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net