Discuss Intermittent disturbance on Sunny Boy inverter in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Yeah, if you've had the inverter operating for a while. You need to speak to SMA about applying for a Gridguard code. Takes a couple of days.

Then you'll need a laptop with bluetooth.

Yeah, if you've had the inverter operating for a while. You need to speak to SMA about applying for a Gridguard code. Takes a couple of days.

Then you'll need a laptop with bluetooth.

Hi

I emailed SMA and got GridGuard Code application form - filled it in and got the code yesterday. I got the inverter sorted today.

The email stated to use Sunny Data Control software but I couldn't get it to see/use the bluetooth adapter.

I then used the Sunny Explorer software and that worked fine. If I remember correctly, I clicked on Tools and selected GridGuard and that let me put the unlock code in. After a few seconds, the inverter clicked a bit then the green generating light went off.

After that, I clicked on the Settings tab, clicked the down arrow on the gridguard section and then clicked the edit button. Went to the country code bit and changed to G83/1 - It took the setting ok and a few minutes later the generating light came back on and all seems to be fine now.

Hopefully this bit of info may help somebody out.

Cheers Guys

Dave

Yeh i had this grid disturbance problem.Connected to sunny explorer entered grid guard code and changed the country settings to g83/1.
I think this is a very common problem and most pv installers especially when starting out after passing there mcs had to go back and change country settings on sma tl inverters due to incorrect 1st time commissioning.
Happy days were all still learning.

SOLUTION(Mine) - Sunnyboy 3800 Voltage Disturbances Vac-Srr - 263.9V present, 259.1V now. Should be 216-253 (230)V-6%+10%.
PV system trying to deliver 3.6 kWh.
Voltage at generation meter shows 257-260V.
Solution:-
1 - contacted SMA uk via online form with Serial no. also mentioned that Inverter in loft with 15m of 4mm twin and earth.
Reply from SMA :-
a - inverter set to UK settings at factory.
b - 4+4mm cable may be light (my calculations suggest 2.5V drop over 15m at peak current.
c - suggested I speak to distributer as voltage high on mains.

2 - Contacted Electricity North West at 4:30pm - Emma took notes.
Reported high voltage especially at mid day on sunny days.
a - asked if I was available until 8pm?!
...me - it's not that urgent?!
b - 8:15pm Pete arrived. Saw my readings agreed accurate as inverter similar.
c - Pete checked mains before mains meter. 253.7V.
d - powered down our PC'S etc. Power off and line impedance checked ok. Power up again.
e - Pete agreed Voltage high/too near max and would visit substation 200m away.
F - Village blacked out for 5 mins at 11:05pm. (Not my fault honest!) Possibly moved transformer to next tapping.
Me - 8am checked mains supply at generation meter... 243V when generating 1kW. Probably no need to upgrade the cable from the inverter just yet.
Well done Pete and Emma from enw.

Hope this helps someone else.
Thanks to the forum for pointing me in the right direction too.
Nev

Just
I find it disturbing that installers are installing SMA inverters without reading the installation manual. It is quite clear that the correct country standard and language setting should be checked before commissioning.
My teams are all trained to check this both physically when installing the inverter and on commissioning when the display first comes to life. It should state that it is set to English language and then G83/1.
just about to say same thing from the above posts it is clearly stated in the install instructions set country of origin codes

Hi all - new to the forum.
Retired Contractor in HVAC, Electrical, General.
I have 3 Sunny Boy Inverters in use, 2 of the 3000TL-US, and a 6000TL-US.
All of them show 127V-130V output on the display, despite being 220VAC.
An amp-draw shows correct amperage at 220VAC.
So now I'm perplexed - why does the display show one leg ?

You're probably reading the DC input....

Photos of the displays would help

Your original post at 2:20 am UK time (BST) suggests you were up late or that your location is correct e.g. California and your time was 6 or 7pm.
I would be interested to know why you are expecting to output at UK settings 230Vac rather than USA 120VAc.

Should we assume you are off grid with a UK fridge etc?

Last night i looked at a youtube video for your sms TL US series and it showed the 2 strings separately... whilst highlighting the each panel group graphic on the display.
As above a photo would help.
Your best bet is to contact SMA-America, the uk/German guys were great.
Contact - http://www.sma-america.com/home-systems/contact.html

Nev

Your original post at 2:20 am UK time (BST) suggests you were up late or that your location is correct e.g. California and your time was 6 or 7pm.
I would be interested to know why you are expecting to output at UK settings 230Vac rather than USA 120VAc.

Should we assume you are off grid with a UK fridge etc?

Last night i looked at a youtube video for your sms TL US series and it showed the 2 strings separately... whilst highlighting the each panel group graphic on the display.
As above a photo would help.
Your best bet is to contact SMA-America, the uk/German guys were great.
Contact - http://www.sma-america.com/home-systems/contact.html

Nev
It seems I didn't include enough info.
I'm in the US with 220VAC output from the Sunny Boy - all the dials are set to "0".
The unit is producing power as designed.
All the panels are on one string due to the voltage required (170VDC as I remember). If the panels were split, it wouldn't trigger on occasion.
The question is how to get the panel to show 220VAC output that it is producing.
I'm sure SOMETHING has been left out here ... LOL

We are confused, normal US supply is 110V? Why are you expecting your Inverter to output 220V?

When correctly set up it is designed to match Grid Voltage and Frequency (US 110V 60Hz, UK 230V 50Hz)

When the inverter boots up it displays its configuration standard.

Disconnect the grid to it (isolator or breaker) and then isolate the dc supply (worst case pull the SMA 'Sunswitch' DC link out of the bottom) then reconnect the DC and then the AC - the order is important as you don't want to disconnect or reconnect the DC under load
As the inverter boots up it will display the grid connection standard that it is configured to (UK gnerally is G83/2 = 230V, 5oHz)
I doubt that the display is wrong, more that you are expecting a different reading.

When we know the standard that the inverter has been configured to we can advise on what Voltage output it would give.

.duplicate post deleted

We are confused, normal US supply is 110V? Why are you expecting your Inverter to output 220V?

When correctly set up it is designed to match Grid Voltage and Frequency (US 110V 60Hz, UK 230V 50Hz)

When the inverter boots up it displays its configuration standard.

Disconnect the grid to it (isolator or breaker) and then isolate the dc supply (worst case pull the SMA 'Sunswitch' DC link out of the bottom) then reconnect the DC and then the AC - the order is important as you don't want to disconnect or reconnect the DC under load
As the inverter boots up it will display the grid connection standard that it is configured to (UK gnerally is G83/2 = 230V, 5oHz)
I doubt that the display is wrong, more that you are expecting a different reading.

When we know the standard that the inverter has been configured to we can advise on what Voltage output it would give.

Yes 110VAC 60Hz is normal (or perhaps 117VAC) and 220VAC is expected leg-to-leg. Actually, higher than 220VAC due to the push method that Sunny Boy uses. If the display is correct, maybe it's per leg. I'll check on that.

In the US you are supplied with 2 phases (legs) and a neutral. Eg 2 x 110 at 60hz. Between the legs(phases) you see around 210Vac, typically used for your larger appliances e.g. oven/cooker or aircon.
If the US inverter is connected to one leg(phase) it will see 110Vac at 60hz and match that. So the inverter is correctly measuring the voltage. I would trust the inverter.
My inverter was ramping up the voltage to match the mains, nominal 230Vac(212-253)... it was sending 264Vac and shutting down. [It looks like my inverter is set to the old 240(220-263 volts range UK standard). An engineer fixed the village supply back to 240 as it showed the maximum allowed of 253Vac at night when noone was generating.
I repeat... i would trust the inverter and measure the voltage where mains cable goes into the inverter... not leg-2-leg somewhere else.
On another note. Do you have a generation meter? Do you receive payments from the city/state for the energy you generate like we do here in the UK?

Reply to Intermittent disturbance on Sunny Boy inverter in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net