Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discuss Intermittent Rcd Tripping in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Shane1089

Shane1089 Guest

Hi guys, i attended a property on friday the tenant has stated the rcd is tripping at intervals of 45-60 mins, i separated the ring legs and upon testing i was getting a reading of 0.60Mohms between Line-cpc on one end of the cable with all loads disconnected, i have never come across this fault before and my question relates to the tripping characteristics of the rcd/mcb. is this a problem you guys have come across before and should the mcb be tripping out although i know the rcd is more sensitive? many thanks in advance.

2. 44ALLAN

44ALLAN Guest

So..........what was tripping?

Mcb or Rcd?

Or Rcbo?

Give us a clue mate :)

Rcd .......earth fault.

Mcb .............short cct/overload/earth fault.

3. Shane1089

Shane1089 Guest

sorry my bad, still new to this... it was the RCD mate

4. SPARTYKUS

SPARTYKUS Electrician's Arms

600,000 Ohms. Thats alot of Ohms!

did you test the RCD as well. Just to be sure. Seems a bit high for an RCD to trip but who knows whats going on there.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Shane1089

Shane1089 Guest

Thanks for the feedback rcd was operating fine following a ramp test and testing at half 1x and 5x

6. 44ALLAN

44ALLAN Guest

Hi guys, i attended a property on friday the tenant has stated the rcd is tripping at intervals of 45-60 mins,

think.........

45-60 min intervals................mmmmmm

Timeclock/pump with level switch/heating pump..............possibilities are endless but easy really when you think about it:)

Well...........sometimes lol

7. Shane1089

Shane1089 Guest

lol but are you saying the the <1Mohm reading between line to cpc has nothing to do with it? even when i attended i forgot to mention(my bad) the rcd got to a point where it was constantly tripping even with all loads plus boiler disconnected sorry if i sound like a complete novice

8. 44ALLAN

44ALLAN Guest

mmmm

If you have an RCD tripping with everything disconnected on the outgoing terminals then..............well..........c'mon?

9. Outspoken

Outspoken Regular EF Member

Shane, snapped a picture of you going to work chap...

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  10. Shane1089

Shane1089 Guest

All jokes aside i understand the fact of mcbs tripping at under <1Mohm my original question was in regards to how the mcb could/should react with the rcd in line with this type of fault, although you may already have had your kicks for the night

11. Shane1089

Shane1089 Guest

"i have never come across this fault before and my question relates to the tripping characteristics of the rcd/mcb. is this a problem you guys have come across before and should the mcb be tripping out although i know the rcd is more sensitive? many thanks in advance."

12. 44ALLAN

44ALLAN Guest

Shane..............there are many on here willing to help but your post doesn't make sense mate.
    You said Rcd was tripping.............that's an earth fault..........think about it!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Shane1089

Shane1089 Guest

I think i have drank too much, appreciate the feedback

• Like Like x 1
  14. tony mc

tony mc Electrician's Arms

Shane. The RCD is either detecting a earth fault or its faulty. As for you IR on the CPC to Line being 0.6 Meg that should not trip the RCD . 230/0.03=7666 Ohms which is a long way off 600000 Ohms . Are you sure that nothing else is connected and if so I would IMO exchange the RCD and locate the IR fault that you have !

15. Shane1089

Shane1089 Guest

Thanks for the feedback Tony, I am visiting again tomorrow to try and reinstate the other half of the circuit, I will make sure I check for anything that I may have missed and recheck the rcds operation, many thanks.

• Like Like x 1