Discuss Internal drainage pipe help in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
If a cast iron internal drain pipe terminates outside into a clay drainage point is this still classed as extraneous conductive part.

I am being super careful as an NICEIC inspector had me box off a soil pipe on a PME system earlier last month and dont want to come a cropper again.

The drain pipe being conductive and internal to the property then means that it would also have to be able to introduce an earth potential (or other potential) into the property to be considered an extraneous conductive part. Because the conductive part goes outside and connects to a non conductive part, so long as the internal drain pipe does not go out underground as usual, then this should not be an extraneous conductive part and in accordance with the 18th edition statements would not require bonding as there is an insulating part before it reaches the earth.
If the drain pipe exits the property underground and then joins on to a clay pipe then earth potential could be introduced and the resistance to earth should be tested to classify if it is an extraneous conductive part or not.

Perhaps that bonding pic might be useful. It shows a metal gas pipe exit the building but not needing bonding because it can't introduce a potential.

IMG_1167.JPG

Last edited:
Does beg the question of how you would actually bond to a cast iron soil pipe? Not sure I would want to drill in to one and they are usually heavily painted or rusty on the outside.

Reply to Internal drainage pipe help in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi everyone We have a little problem with a heating system on one of the projects (quite big house in south Kensington) and we are looking for...
Replies
Views
Hello. The toilet is connected into a cast iron waste/soil pipe O.D. 150mm. Apparently, this is an extraneous conductive part and is thus supposed...
Replies
Views
my lights are dimming everytime an appliance turns on in my appartment and the shared area of the basement next to it. my fridge causes a moderate...
Replies
Views
I am required to provide power to a shed, a pond (with pump) and some outside lights. The lights are class 1 and are the drive over type. The...
Replies
Views
M
I am currently renovating the missus house and have noticed a couple of things i need advice about, i am a qualified builder and plumber and have...
Replies
Views
robsparky1975
R

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock