Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discuss internal house hallway, 2 way lighting, customer wants to retain 2 way light switches but add aPIR in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. john forrester

john forrester New EF Member

Hi Guys, customer's house hall has 2 way light switched circuit, I have been asked to add a separate PIR to the existing light circuit to allow the lights to come on when PIR is activated, he wants to retain the existing 2 way switches as overall on/ off control when required independent of the PIR, I have wired in a PIR, which works OK< but cannot get the switches to keep lights on when required, HELP...

2. Spoon

Spoon Forum Mentor

Welcome to the forum mate.
    So what you are doing is changing the light switch into a 3 way intermediate switched light.

upload_2019-1-12_10-21-26.png

You will need a PIR to have a change-over switch and change one of the light switches into an intermediate switch.

3. Wilko

Wilko Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Wilko Electrics
    If you need the light switches to retain their existing function then perhaps add the detector "over the top" so it provides another switched live to the lamp? Then they'll only want the it to work at night so you'll need luminance detector and only if I want it so you'll need another switch to take it out of circuit as well :rolleyes: .

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  4. EbolaSideRoom

EbolaSideRoom Regular EF Member

When I’ve done this before I’ve used two switches at the end of the two way where the switched live for the light has come from, with a 3 core cable going to the PIR. One switch operates as an over-ride to the PIR and effectively takes the place of the “normal” light switch. The additional switch switches the supply live to the PIR. With this set up the 2 way can be “off” but the PIR will switch the light on anyway (depending on the set up of the PIR), or the PIR can be disabled and the 2 way work as normal.