Discuss Internet central heating controllers in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

O

Octopus

Is it me or are they as annoying as all the far eastern spam?

Yes we have the option to ignore them, but the rate they are appearing on the site is getting out of hand IMHO

Should there be a specific area for these?

I don't see why people on here are expected to give away their knowledge and experience for free, whilst the vendors of the products sit back and make profits ?

Just saying

My Blood is warming a little .
(Find something good -then with time watch it change - More tech , faster change )
Seen internet business .Com boom bust
Snooping big data ,out of fashion.
Just another bit of "globalization" .
... Or have our opinions annoyed the
internet GODs ....

They are Annoying but I have had two nest install jobs so far as a result of these posts, can’t complain too much as it’s easy money.

Which is the right outcome ............. but a lot of these posters think they can get all the information free .............

I think part of the problem is that the site advertises free advice, then some regulars get on their high horse when DIYers come on and ask how to wire them up!
It might be better to put/have info in the Arms, to inform those of us who are not clued up on these systems, and perhaps to PM electricians who come on asking for advice?
Just sayin too.

Last edited:
My lad is thinking of getting a Nest or similar, so guess I might be asking :D Having looked at some of the download instructions, doesn't look that hard. Except perhaps with a boiler providing outputs. Might have to PM you Murdoch!

Incidentally, I'd take issue with that member calling you Murdock, ain't that a flipping fizzy drink.

They are Annoying but I have had two nest install jobs so far as a result of these posts, can’t complain too much as it’s easy money.
Dave, it is only easy as you have taken the time and probably money to forward yourself in installing this product/system.

My lad is thinking of getting a Nest or similar, so guess I might be asking :D Having looked at some of the download instructions, doesn't look that hard. Except perhaps with a boiler providing outputs. Might have to PM you Murdoch!

Incidentally, I'd take issue with that member calling you Murdock, ain't that a flipping fizzy drink.
If you mean me I apologised in the next post for spelling his name incorrectly it was getting late and getting tired.

Hello All,

These `Control your Home`s Heating via the Internet` / Smart Heating Controls will be being installed in much higher numbers from about April this year as they will be probably the `cheapest` way of new Heating Boiler installations complying with the new `Boiler Plus` Energy Efficiency Regulations which are coming into force on the 1st April 2018.

They are one of 4 `options` allowed to be installed to adhere to these new Energy Efficiency Regulations - and will be the `cheapest method` out of the 4 options.

I will not try to explain the new Regulations in detail as it would require even more text than my usual messages - interested Members can just Google - `Boiler Plus Energy Efficiency Regulations April 2018` - or something similar.

Just to explain why the `Smart Heating Controls` will definitely be being installed much more often I will give brief details of the other the `Options` for adhering to the regulations:

The most effective option for perceived `Energy Efficiency` [without being put off by the high installation cost] would be `Flue Gas Heat Recovery` on a Combi Boiler which uses either a built in or added unit through which the Mains water supply runs and is preheated via a `condensate store` so that the Combi heats the incoming Mains water from perhaps 15 - 20 degrees rather than an approximate Winter water temperature of less than 5 degrees [sometimes only 2 degrees].

This would be quite a large saving on the Gas used for Hot water production.

BUT - these units can be expected to add approximately ÂŁ500 - ÂŁ800 to the cost of installing a Combi Boiler so the `Payback time` is prohibitive - by the time that the Homeowner has been `paid back` for the high installation cost the Combi could be ready for replacement.

For Combi Boiler installations in Rented Accommodation there would be `no good reason` for the Landlords to pay this additional Installation cost as they would not be saving money on running the Appliance.

`Weather Compensation Controls` are another of the options - however from my experience with some of those they would only be `fully effective` / work correctly in a New Build / Correctly designed Heating system / Correctly insulated property / `Air Tight` [almost] Property - usually not fully effective in an existing / old property.

Another option is `Heating Load Compensation` - this is similar to `Weather Compensation` and can be operated in conjunction with Weather Compensation controls - but again I feel that `Ideal Conditions` need to exist in the property regarding - Correctly designed Heating system / Correctly insulated property / `Air Tight` [almost] Property - usually not fully effective in an existing / old property..

The most inexpensive of the 4 options is to install one of the `Smart Heating Controls` - as some of these have been advertised as costing `ÂŁ200.00 installed` Members can see why this option will be preferred by most Heating Installers.

So - there will be a big increase in demand for these `Smart Heating Controls` and for Electricians to install them.

I have not yet looked for `Trade prices` / not including Installation for any of the `Smart Heating Controls` - do any Members know the average price ?

I hope that this is of interest to some Members.

Regards,

Chris

Last edited:
i suppose it's debateable. knockers versus iphone:
shopping

Reply to Internet central heating controllers in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net