Discuss Internet controls with wires from boiler to thermostat in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

dch0jmh

Hi all.

This is a question about internet controls for a replacement combi boiler in my own house.

My existing ancient combi boiler is sited in an unheated utility room, next to an unheated kitchen, with an unheater stairwell through the wall behind it. The bathroom above has tiled floors that I would hate to rip up. It's very hard to see how to get wires from the boiler to a room thermostat in a part of the house that is actually heated.

The existing boiler has been declared unrepairable (no parts) so I'm planning to replace it with a Worcester-Bosch 34CDi or similar. I want internet controls, and I like the functionality of the Worcester Wave internet control system, which can get outside temperature information from the Net and use it to reduce the water temperature and supposedly improve efficiency.

However, it seems that the Worcester Wave needs a 2-wire connection from the boiler to the thermostat/controller. This is crazy - dispensing with wires is what WiFi is for, after all. But I can't see how to get wires through (and I don't want to try to cut channels for them in 17th-century brickwork). So are there systems that offer internet control where the connections from hub to boiler and hub to thermostat are both WiFi, and if so what's the best one?

The BG Hive might do it, but BG's quote is 50% higher than ones from independent installers - and since the price of the boiler is fixed, that's a factor of 2 on costs for installation/powerflush. Nest? Evohome? Heat Genius? It's really hard to work out exactly what wires are required from online literature.

Thanks all.

You can buy a Hive from John lewis for around £200 ( plus the extra cost of a qualified spark to install ) its wireless and would do the job but doesn't check outside temps and all that jazz, if thats what your after then the hive probably isn't for you, but it does offer the abaility to switch your heating on remotley and check useage stats online etc...

The Nest from my experience require either a 24v wired connection ( two cores ) or can be used as a wireless control but needs to be plugged in and charged if installed this way,i dont know how reguraly you would have to charge the unit or if it would need to be permantly plugged as the ones i have installed have had wires connections.

I have never used any of the other you mentioned but hope this helps.

VS

Many thanks, @Leesparkyket and @ValeSpark.

The Netatmo, the Hive without BG and The Owl intuition-cw all look promising.

None of them seem to monitor external temperature via the Web in the way that the Wave does, which is a pity. And both of them look as though they set up their own WiFi network independent of the one I already have, which is odd (and could make it difficult to reach parts of the house that are behind a thick stone wall, where I use a separate wired access point to extend my existing network).

And I'm slightly alarmed to see a news article that a Netatmo weather station (a different device, but I presume from the same manufacturer) sends WPA passwords in the clear:
Personal weather stations can expose your Wi-Fi network | PCWorld

I haven't made a decision yet, so any more suggestions for wireless internet control systems with more functionality would be very welcome.

The BG Hive is £199 installed. It has a hub which plugs into your router that creates it's own wifi network, a receiver that replaces your existing clock or is fitted near your boiler if the boiler has a built in clock and a controller that goes in place of your thermostat or anywhere you want, it is wireless.
If there is a problem with the wifi network then there is a smart plug that can be plugged in somewhere between the hub and receiver that extends the range of the network.
i have installed lots of these systems and the feedback from customers is very good.

Reply to Internet controls with wires from boiler to thermostat in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net