Discuss internet slow on more than one device is on in the Computer and Networking Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

J

justanoob

just wondering if anyone can help my internet speed is quite slow but when I try to surf with more than 1 device the other one takes ages to load takes that long I get bord waiting and use mobile instead I have tried everything changed internet provider, replaced router just in case anyone need to know Im currently using a netgear n600, I also tried hard wired into the router Ethernet but still same. I tried different comps coz I thought it may be the comp but still same rang the old net provider before i left them and they said its not their end and same with current provider, so im running out of ideas to try now hope some one can help cheers in advance.

I have tried this it only tells you the speeds etc not why im not able to surf on more than one device it says the checker says:
download speed 6.85 mb/s
upload speed 0.370 mb/s
ping 359 ms
im not too sure If this is ok or what but
cheers again for replying

The ping time seems quite high

Do you know what speeds / bandwidth you should be getting or are paying for

download speed 6.85 mb/s
upload speed 0.370 mb/s
That is not fast at all, and ping is high

but i would not expect it to slow down even more between two computers unless you are both trying to download or play on line?

thank you for the replies but it is slowing it down not with downloading or gaming just general surfing. can anyone help

Very occasionally I get it as well. Apart from ping, the speeds are similar to mine. Sometimes ( and this is a theory) the router appears to allow two devices with the same IP address. In theory this should not happen. When I reboot the router and re-log back on it usually clears it.

have you got dropbox or other programs on that computer constantly connecting?

download netlimiter 3, its free and will show you how much every process is using and allow you to limit/block access.

dropbox/teamviewer slows my gaming to a crawl ssometimes

nothing running as I have tried on various computers and devices so this not the issue and I was with virgin then moved to plusnet who im currently with.

Its worth resetting your router on a regular basis - maybe a timer so it happens every night?

It is worth checking whether the computers are speaking to each. There may be so much chatter on the network that it causes other traffic to deteriorate. That is one possible reason why this occurs only when more than one device is connected to the network. That also may explain your observation that they are not downloading anyting in the background.

To see if that is the case, download the free Wireshark packet capture utility. Run it on your network adapter on both machines and close down all your programs. Of course, every machine is different but if you only a hundred or so packets a second on each machine then that's not bad. If it sends thousands a second then it would mean your networking gear is taking a hit.

Reply to internet slow on more than one device is on in the Computer and Networking Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock