Discuss Intruder Alarm External Bell/Strobe problem in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

leep82

-
Arms
Reaction score
hi all, as the title suggests i have a problem with an external sounder. Firstly i’ll hold my hands up and say that alarms systems are somthing ive never really got involved with. When i worked direct for a company they used a sub contractor and nkw im self employed i have generally passed any alarm work onto other people. However im always looking to learn new things.

So i had a call asking if i could look at said problem. The customer has had new PIR’s, contacts, panel and key pad fitted by someone else, using old wiring. The only accessory that wasnt renewed was the external sounder. Everything has been working fine or so im told until recently when the alarm was triggered but the external sounder did not sound and strobe did not light. I took the cover of the sounder when i got to the job expecting it to go into alarm via the tamper switch, but nothing. There were five cores being used, which i think were a positive/negative for sounder, positive/negative for the strobe and an additional core connected to the tamper switch. My multimeter was reading 12v across each of the mentioned terminals, so i assumed the problem itself lies within the sounder. Very greatful if anyone can offer any advice as to what may be the issue.

Usually In an exterbal.sounder there is a posiive, negative, tamper return, applied negative for sounder and applied negative for strobe. Id firstly check obviously for 12v pos and neg in, if not your panel might not be applying the negative to the sounder/strobe in an alarm situation but it should have went off straight away when you opened it so it sounds like it is either not receiving power or the bell itself is not functioning

Reply to Intruder Alarm External Bell/Strobe problem in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net