Discuss Inverter E031 error message in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
So PV not my area. My sisters inverter Aurora Power One has come up with a terminal E031 error and has been repeatedly clicking trying to reset so she has switched it off following the instructions. She asked me what happens to all the energy the solar panels create and it through me. I think she’s worried about a fire or explosion. Does it just go to ground?
Sorry if it’s a stupid question but I just don’t know how these things work.
Sadly the install company has gone bust.
Many thanks in advance.

No, it doesn’t go to ground, it doesn’t go anywhere unless there’s a fault in the wiring.
It’s a bit like a battery, the energy is there but it doesn’t go anywhere unless you connect it to a circuit.
At night there is just no energy there.

Thanks Murdoch when I wrote terminal I meant it in the sense of fatal dead caput. (Can’t remember the rest of that Fawlty towers quote)
Inverter definitely will need replacing.
Now it’s been switched off I’m just checking it’s safe to be left like that as she’s away on holiday for two weeks and nothing is going to get done before that.

If it’s a bit like a battery which is effectively creating electrons continuously does that not mean that at some point something will go pop?!
I guess it depends on which type of battery you have?
Think of it more like a water tap.
Turn the tap on water comes out, connect the panels to a circuit electricity comes out.
Turn the tap off water stops, disconnect the panels electricity stops.
Night time is like turning off the stopcock.

Thanks for that. Sorry I was thinking of some sort of storage component but there isn’t one. Sorry it’s getting late your explanation makes sense. Many thanks for the reassurance.

This error code is not repairable. Get the serial number, model number and date of installation. It will have had a warranty of either 5 or 10 years. Check the handover pack. If it's outside warranty period, you'll have to fund a replacement unit.

ABB Service Line: 01903 823323

Reply to Inverter E031 error message in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net