Discuss Inverter went pop, can you identify this film capacitor? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

Matt Hubbert

Hi all. I recently had a 300w inverter go pop and I'd really like to try to repair it if possible (it's a valuable part of a solar energy system). Upon first inspection, the big metallized polypropylene film capacitor right next to the AC output has burnt. I've no idea if there is any further damage, but I'd like to satisfy my curiosity and see if I can resurrect it by replacing the capacitor to begin with.

My only problem is this particular one has no numbers on it. It is very similar to the smaller capacitors in the unit all labeled with CB221, but the one that is damaged is much larger. Does anybody know what type of capacitor it is likely to be (visible in the photo) or indeed who produces these inverters and where I might find a list of the components used?

inside.JPG

outside.JPG

Hi Matt, what make is the inverter? I would contact the supplier and get a new circuit board if you want to try and repair the inverter. Although I must stress that solar ac/dc is extremely dangerous! Highly recommend getting a professional into to help!

ÂŁ60 buys you a whole new inverter. I would do that..

Thanks for the input guys. To be fair the thing had been on permanently for 2 years powering all the lights in a house, so I was impressed with the run I had out of it! I was just hoping it had more life in it, I'd never make any savings on electricity if I had to replace the inverter every couple years :p

If you buy a cheap bit of kit like that then you have to expect to replace it on a regular basis. If you want it to last then you need to get some better quality equipment

Reply to Inverter went pop, can you identify this film capacitor? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock