Discuss Investigation on massive electricity bills in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Think this is the most sensible suggestion to check first. Why pay hundreds of pounds getting an electrician to check if there is something wrong with the electrical installation, if they've got some dodgy meters or readings.

Get the fuel supplier to verify their meters.
And if the readings are correct?

I would say most are where the price goes up, the direct debit doesn't, the consumption goes up..... Then the supplier does a meter reading...... Then the payment jumps....

well you can do some very simply thing like check the electrical meter readings on a daily basis, record these and see if there is a spike, you could do this over the Phone with the customer
then see what they are paying for a KW hour, normal about 13p. ish but it may be cheaper.

but if the customer are well off then look at the energy tracking devices which are out there a couple of hundred quid. these are better as they will record the power consumption and give you an idea if its a steady consumption or a spike at a certain point. These can visual display the Data in graph form for easy of understanding.

if its a steady consumption then get a clamp meter out and check all the circuit to see whats going on and which circuit is using the power.

hope that helps. goggle is a good tool

here a web site which offer some tracking

Tracking Your Energy Use | Home Power Magazine - https://www.homepower.com/articles/home-efficiency/electricity/tracking-your-energy-use
your need to find a 3 phase meter,

I think £4100 is quite a bit, A very rough calculation, if they paying 13p a KW hour ,
then they using something like 31,538 KW Hours ,now if that's a quarter then there about 11,500KW hour a month and about 350KW hours a day. that mean they are using 14KW every hour.!

Has your client checked that the readings on the bills match the readings on the actual meter(s)? Wouldn't trust suppliers further than I could through them...

Out of 28 circuits in main house only getting current flow on 2 and they are small 0.1 and 0.5 amps. Yet when I check flow from main DB on L3 it was 4.6 amps. Done IR and Continuity and all fine.

Meter readings all seem to coincide. Found out it's an actual meter reading every 6 months so every other quarter is an estimate based on last reading. Just checked the last two actual readings and in the 6 months usage was 28187 KWh. Think it's at 13p so that would work out at £3664. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Any other ideas welcome.

Do you think that £4100 is acceptable for a quarter when they know they don't use a lot of electricity themselves. Clearly they don't want free electricity and I can assure you they quite well off but why would anyone pay for something that they are not using regardless of how much money they have. Really don't see the point in your comment.
I'm glad you even understood his/her comment. I do hope s/he isn't an electrician!

Is the detached cottage permanently let and is it off the same supply? Is there a sub meter to it? And are the stables used by the owners or let out to others?

No one, ever, thinks they use a lot of electricity. Can only think of one case where a customer's (shop) supply was also supplying the shop next door. Every other time they have simply used a lot of leccy. And, personally, I am pleased they are getting hammered for it financially. Once you have investigated the installation, prepare to advise them on how not destroy the one and only planet we can live on by. being a little more responsible in their choices. Probably try to not sound like the swivel-eyed environmentalist I am though.

Well the couple in the cottage have just got back and now the supply to the cottage is pulling anywhere between 10 and 37 amps sometimes sitting at a steady 17 but also sits at around 26. Something going on there. More detective work needed.

Worked on a Vodafone site a few years ago and had to find the origin. Traced the cable back to the Spar shop.

The manager was insistent that the site wasn't fed from his shop until we pointed out the cable going through his wall.

Was supplied off his DB and not a sub meter in sight, they'd been paying Vodafones bills for years...

are they producing &selling bob hope, you need to gain access in the cottage and see what is going on !

Just been in and the only circuit pulling any significant current is the cooker at 6.6 amps. Don't know why it kept spiking but it's only since they got home. L1 was pretty much inactive until try arrived then starts spiking at 36 amps at times.

Reply to Investigation on massive electricity bills in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net