Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Electrical 2 Go - Electrical Supplier and Electrical Wholesalers

Please visit our prime electrical forum sponsor - they have the best tools at the best prices. If you find a price better somewhere else, call them or contact them, and they may be able to beat it for you. Especially on an order of a few items.

Dismiss Notice

Discuss IP rated switchcover in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Midwest

Midwest Electrician's Arms

The place in which I work, has a swimming pool. In the pool area is a switch to control the lighting. The switch (according to the manufacturer) is not suitable for that environment.

It would appear to be a design fault, in that the electrical contractor and the glass entrance door installer, didn't liaise over the location of their products, and the switch ended up pool side of the entrance door.

The switch is failing, and apparently the manufacturer has nothing else to offer. A new one is on its way (£350!).

The switched can't be moved, without considerable disruption, tiled walls etc. Although, I think when we've been through a few, that might become an option.

In the meantime, I was wondering if I could source a cover for the new switch? Something like this American thing;
    Switch cover.jpg
    or
    Switch cover 2.png Needs to be IP rated as the warm/damp/chlorine air is not doing the switch any good. Needs to look atheistically pleasing as well.
    Any ideas?

2. mhar

mhar Electrician's Arms

Quinetic wireless switch somewhere instead? They started doing ip rated ones recently. No worries about zones either

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Midwest

Hadn't had the switch off yet, but guessing it some extra low voltage scene setting switch, with remote dimmer.

4. SWD

SWD Gender neutral Electrician's Arms

5. Midwest

6. Richard Burns

Richard Burns Respected Member

Business Name:
    Richard Burns
    Those ones are not particularly waterproof as such, they would stop the switch getting splashed but that is about it. Though they are in general fairly neat.
    Perhaps the "MK shield" switch cover would be OK rated at IP55, however you would need to open the cover to operate the switch and again not nice to look at.
    Alternatively get an 8cm clear silicone square mould and glue it over the switch!

7. Midwest

It’s not at risk from water splashes, it’s just been installed in an unsuitable environment, i.e the damp chlorine air of a swimming pool. The old switch is just had enough of being there!

Something just to stop the air circulation, is what I’m thinking of trying. As said, once we’ve been through a few of them, a more permanent solution will need to be found.

Did, think of using the MK Splashguard lid/cover, but think that might be too complicated and ugly.

Something to mastic in place over the top, will suffice for now.

8. Midwest

Here’s the ‘switch’;
    1DFE8864-39E0-4758-9908-3AA4A8C26EA8.jpeg

9. Midwest

The ‘switch’ is a Ex-Or control panel by Honeywell. As said it cost £350; having not had anything to do with lighting control systems, I contacted the manufacturer. I was a bit worried about how to power down the main dimmer panel and connecting the new control panel.

It seems a simple process, however their tech department states the new control panel will need commissioning/programming by one of their engineers.

Their charge is £600 per day :eek:

Anybody had anything to do with this product?

10. Charlie_

Charlie_ Electrician's Arms

Top Poster Of Month

Is the switch wired as part of the bus or is it wired to the selv inputs?
    You can pick up a quick set pro programmer for a couple of hundred quid..
    they are a fiddle you will soon get the hang of it and then you can recoup your money with your first £600/day invoice :)

• Like Like x 1
  11. Midwest

12. anthonybragg

anthonybragg Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    CHARLTEC ELECTRICAL LTD
    My feeling is that this is just a keypad/controller the main unit is what holds the programmable information. I think that you will have the same problem in the future with the replacement.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Midwest

Been interesting what the boss has to say tomorrow, when I tell him. :D

14. Midwest

15. anthonybragg

anthonybragg Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    CHARLTEC ELECTRICAL LTD
    When you say the switch is failing I take it you don't just mean the metal is tarnishing?