Discuss Ip65 10w LED pir light in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

gazdkw82

-
Arms
Reaction score
My parents have a small old halogen light above their front door but it's stopped working so Iv got them a ip65 10w LED pir replacement and ip65 JB.

they have a t&e flex running from the Halogen light through the wall above the door, tacked to the wall and hanging down. The flex has a standard socket on the end which they just plugged in when they wanted the light on. Personally I think they had it on all the time because Iv never seen it unplugged and it was a pir to light up so they could see the steps coming down towards the house. It's really messy.

so in terms of wiring this new light in the easiest option would be to fsu of the back of the nearest socket but they have laminate upstairs that they don't want disturbing and the nearest socket downstairs is quite a distance away. I can fsu off it but it means quote a lot of trunking as they don't want the plaster disturbing either.

however right inside the door is 2x1 gang light switches and 1x 2 gang light switch. Covering stairs, landing, hallway, coatroom area.

would it be possible to change one of the 1 gang light switches to a 2 gang, splitting the line to power both?

My parents have a small old halogen light above their front door but it's stopped working so Iv got them a ip65 10w LED pir replacement and ip65 JB.

they have a t&e flex running from the Halogen light through the wall above the door, tacked to the wall and hanging down. The flex has a standard socket on the end which they just plugged in when they wanted the light on. Personally I think they had it on all the time because Iv never seen it unplugged and it was a pir to light up so they could see the steps coming down towards the house. It's really messy.

so in terms of wiring this new light in the easiest option would be to fsu of the back of the nearest socket but they have laminate upstairs that they don't want disturbing and the nearest socket downstairs is quite a distance away. I can fsu off it but it means quote a lot of trunking as they don't want the plaster disturbing either.

however right inside the door is 2x1 gang light switches and 1x 2 gang light switch. Covering stairs, landing, hallway, coatroom area.

would it be possible to change one of the 1 gang light switches to a 2 gang, splitting the line to power both?
Depends where the neutral is. Is the switch fed or the light?

If the house is getting on and has not been rewired it is unlikely to be fed through the switch.
I would be looking at the nearest upstairs socket to your desired location, adding a spur , if the aesthetics are acceptable.

Sorry typing as Lee replied . Too slow lol.

Last edited:
can you not fit FCU adjacent to an upstairs socket, then drill straight through the cavity wall to outside, fit ad. box where cable exits the wall and then, if necessary, fit a longer (black) flex to the fitting?

Reply to Ip65 10w LED pir light in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net