Discuss IPX4 or 5 needed for extractor over bath with shower mixer tap? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Shooby

-
Reaction score
Hi all.

I need to fit an extractor fan on the wall above my bath. The bath has a shower mixer tap, but due to the slope of the roof this will not be used for showering but to rinse hair etc in bath - the shower handset clip is mounted just above the bath - photo attached.

I'm unsure about the requirement for the IP rating for this extractor;
  • IPX4 – Protects from splashing water, no matter the direction
  • IPX5 – Protects from water jets at any direction
In theory someone could sit in the bath and aim the shower up at the extractor - so does it need IPX5?!

If so, would an alternative be to fit an ELV extractor - do they exist?!

Many thanks for any guidance (this will ultimately be signed off by a BCO so needs to be right :) )

SAM_0051 - Copy.JPG

If BC are to sign this off then they usually require the work to be undertaken by a competent person. A local electrician will be able to advise about the correct type of extraction to fit to suit the situation.

Sigh...

I've done all the electrical work in the loft conversion including interlinked smokies and this was arranged and agreed as part of the planning application under Part P. Having now been out to 'sign off' the work, he has declared he's happy with everything else, but insisted an extractor be fitted in the bathroom.

I know I can take the easy route out and fit an ELV fan, but would marginally rather not if I can help it (I'd rather fit a circular-fascia'd fan with covered face for aesthetics, and can only find this in IPX4 at the moment).

I am also genuinely curious as to where the 'line' between 4 and 5 is drawn, as the descriptor I gave in my first post could theoretically cover both in my situation.

Thank you if you are willing to advise.

I'll be naughty Andy.

An IPX4 fan can be installed in zone 1 of a bathroom/shower room, i.e. where your suggesting. However, someone could play silly buggers and give it a rinse with your shower hose, as kids do.

Some manufacturers (I agree) recommend the use of separated or safety extra low voltage (selv) fans in zone 1, as an additional safety measure.

Low voltage circuits would need additional protection via RCD, and as Andy suggested, any alteration or addition in special location, would require notification to local building control, unless (as you suggest) is part of an existing planning building regs process.

agree with ^^^^^. best idea is a ELV fan. IP44 of course.

Many thanks, Midwest.

Yes, this is all honestly above-board and the BCO has been out to check all the work last week and is 'happy' - other than to insist on an extractor being fitted.

I'd thankfully run cables for this in anticipation of anyone wishing to add an extractor in future, and also - double phew - installed a roof vent adjacent to where the fan will go.

There might even be room to fit an in-line fan, although it'd be tight. If I can get a ~1' length of flexible ducting between the fan and the vent in the bathroom, how would this affect the IP rating, I wonder? Where do in-line fans sit in the IP-rating malarkey?!

Other than that, Midwest and teletrix reckon that IPX4 is 'ok', but ELV is to be recommended due to the possibility of someone aiming the shower or super-peeing at the fan?! That makes sense, and I would like to cover all bases.

(I hadn't realised though, Midwest, that ELV circuits would need additional protection by RCD? Is this in addition to the main RCD in the CU?)

If this were your hoosie, would you go ELV or 1' of ducting with an in-line fan for 'safety'?

Many thanks, all.

I put in a Velux...:)

Oh, and a huge centrifugal fan in the loft with 5m of ducting...
BC said "You don't need to blow the bloody doors off!"
I call the fan Monica...
which shows my age, I guess.
Also, shows I've hit the Gin n Tonic early...sorry!

Reply to IPX4 or 5 needed for extractor over bath with shower mixer tap? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net