Discuss IR ON/OFF Motion Detector Sensor Switch. Problem in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Simoniz

Hi

i bought "IR ON/OFF Motion Detector Sensor Switch from Mr Resistor, i wanted to install it in the bathroom, to switch on and off LED light above cabinet, after instalation switch doesnt work, Just hear click sound but doesnt switch off the lights, any ideas please? Where is the problem.

how I wired this
- feed 240V above wall cabinet, connected to the input (L and N) of " IR ON/OFF Motion Detector Sensor Switch " then from the switch to transformer for LED strip, from transformer to LED strip.

- transformer for LED strip parameters:
I/P: AC 100/240V 50/60Hz 1.2A
OP: DC 24V, 1.9A

- IR ON/OFF switch parameters:
The IR-sensor controller senses hand movement in front of the sensor eye (5cm-10cm) for on and off switching. It can be used to switch both mains and low voltage lighting.
Max Lighting Load 250W
http://www.mr-resistor.co.uk/item.aspx?g=&t=820&r=822&i=13610&a=0

Thank you.
simon

Last edited by a moderator:
I assume you have tried a few times and there has been no response, just in case it was switching on.
It is possible it may need a short time to stabilise after being powered up.
Do you hear the click from the unit or from the sensor?
Have you connected it as per the instructions (below), it sounds like you have but just to be sure.
I assume that the LED strip is not requiring over 250W (very unlikely)
10978_sensor_technicals.jpg
If all this is correct and you can only have the lights on and they do not turn off then I would say you have a faulty unit and should ask for a replacement.
The likely fault is that the switch contacts have fused shut, which may happen on overload, so long as you had not had it connected incorrectly at any time...

OK so you you need to test the units. Try a 60W incandescent lamp in place of the switched mode power supply, then try an incandescent lamp at the wattage of the LED strip. If they work then there is an incompatability with the power supply.
Test to see if the voltage on the output of the switch changes when there is no load at all to test if the units are working at all.
With all power disconnected test for continuity between contacts to determine if the operation is different to that in the instructions just in case the contacts were volt free. But this may be limited if the units are now burned out.
After that I do not know.

It has to be either the switches or the LED Strips so take one of them out of the equation and see which one works. Ie. do what Richard above said and if that works try the LED strip on a standard switch and see if that works. My gut says the switches are faulty - might be a bad batch or something.

Reply to IR ON/OFF Motion Detector Sensor Switch. Problem in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net