Discuss Ir Testing Advice in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

Mattyi26

Hello all,

Hope you all enjoyed your bank holiday!
I have a question that i know someone can give me the answer to.
So to keep this short i basically have a lighting circuit with 3 street lights via a time clock.
Circuit goes >3 phase DB> 10amp C type Mcb > time clock > 1,2,3 street lights.
I am currently doing a EICR on this property which has this circuit on and when i have come to IR this circuit the readings i got where 0.08 or there abouts doing method 2 linking L/N. These street lights i believe have sodium lamps in and are too high up for a ladder to access so difficult to judge without a cost of cherry picker or the like. These 3 street lamps are approx 15 years old.
So basically is the reading due to lamps? Or is there something im missing inside the street pole that i should be linking out? Etc.
I tested at 250v not 500v.
I understand i could just put LIM in the box and move on but i want to understand the reason why im getting this result and would ideally prefer to do it correctly at 500v as i want to know the true reading of the cable/s that feed these outside street lights.

Thanks for your time.

Matt

Where did you test the insulation resistance?
The time clock, if electronic, could possibly demonstrate a low IR reading, however if you tested each light's wiring after the time clock (with the time clock disconnected) then the ballast should be able to give a reasonable IR reading (L+N to E).
With a reading of 0.08Mohms it might be worth measuring the resistance at a low range to get a more accurate reading, but this is probably fruitless.

Have the columns got cutouts in them so they can be isolated from the circuit so you can isolate the fault/s. If the heads are causing this IR reading this is the result I would put on the schedule, why can't you test at 500v.

Reply to Ir Testing Advice in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock