Discuss IR testing results on MWC in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

N

NickD

Interested to know what other people do about IR testing results on a MWC. If your additions contain new fixed wiring then you test that and record those results, obviously. But what if you're just replacing a fitting with a brand new one, the IR testing of which seems pointless? Do you leave blank or strike through these entries (which are in a section called "Essential Tests")? You're not under any obligation to IR test the existing wiring you're connecting/adding to to sign off the MWC IMHO.

Strictly speaking you should be carrying out the proper tests in accordance with BS7671, sub missing put the IR test IMHO is not a good idea, you could just do a limitation test, reg 614.3.2 if I remember correctly.

Strictly speaking you should be carrying out the proper tests in accordance with BS7671, sub missing put the IR test IMHO is not a good idea

So what would you IR test if just swapping out a fitting? The (new, boxfresh, certified fit for purpose by manufacturer) fitting? The existing wiring, maybe having to open up the CU when you otherwise didn't need to?

So what would you IR test if just swapping out a fitting? The (new, boxfresh, certified fit for purpose by manufacturer) fitting? The existing wiring, maybe having to open up the CU when you otherwise didn't need to?

Why are you carrying out a full sequence of tests on a like for like replacement?!

Check it's earthed if applicable and that it will meet disconnection times, replace, pack up, jog on to the next job. You're just wasting time and lumbering yourself with unnecessary paperwork!

- - - Updated - - -

Ze ??? :detective:

Beat you to it! lol

Why are you carrying out a full sequence of tests on a like for like replacement?!

Check it's earthed if applicable and that it will meet disconnection times, replace, pack up, jog on to the next job. You're just wasting time and lumbering yourself with unnecessary paperwork!

- - - Updated - - -

Beat you to it! lol

Only just....but it's still on my post.lol!

I'm not, that's my point, I wouldn't IR test and I strike through the IR test results (while trying to ignore the heading above that says "Essential Tests", implying none are optional). I Zs, I generally do a final earth continuity test once it's fitted (just to preclude CPC having popped out of block or whatever) [=extra 2mins], I RCD test [=extra 2mins]if it's RCD protected and the customer doesn't mind the affected circuits going down.

- - - Updated - - -

Beat you to it! lol

That makes sense Mr DS.. What would you do if there was a little more to the job? For example if you've added a light to existing circuit.. just a simple one, say an extra light up in the loft. Would you then do all the required IR tests for the MWC? The job has taken perhaps 15 minutes, but you now have to take out all light bulbs in the whole house (all on one circuit) and hope that nothing else is on the lighting circuit that you have to hunt down..

My point being is do you ALWAYS do a L-N IR test when doing small jobs (not like for like) and if not what would you put on the MWC?

- - - Updated - - -

On a minor works cert then, what do you put in the IR reading box if you don't do it?

Good point..

I'm not, that's my point, I wouldn't IR test and I strike through the IR test results (while trying to ignore the heading above that says "Essential Tests", implying none are optional). I Zs, I generally do a final earth continuity test once it's fitted (just to preclude CPC having popped out of block or whatever) [=extra 2mins], I RCD test [=extra 2mins]if it's RCD protected and the customer doesn't mind the affected circuits going down.
you verefy by visual and appropriate test/s that the circuit you are replacing an accessory on is good for continued service...

and that its good for any extra load/s that may be placed on it...

in the case of replacing an accessory this could take the form of a quick Zs....

Opotion 4 = don't bother filling in a sheet at all lol

Option 5 is i left my testers on another job, being calibrated , or any other excuse i have seen on here that they didnt test.
Or option 6 is that a flapping leaf blowing on the terminals prevented any testing. I miss JRC:rofl:

What would you do if there was a little more to the job? For example if you've added a light to existing circuit.. just a simple one, say an extra light up in the loft. Would you then do all the required IR tests for the MWC?

I then do and record the required IR test for the MWC, which is the addition in the loft, with the CPC connected but before connected L&N, testing only the new wiring, ignoring the existing wiring.

Reply to IR testing results on MWC in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net