Discuss IR testing in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Pete999

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Now that I'm a retired Electrician with nothing to do other than annoy Forum members with inane posts, and browse the net.
I came across some American videos about MICC installations, and having worked in the states on many occasions I found 1 vid rather interesting, a guy "Russ La Blance code violations" Russ was testin IR on a 2 core MICC cable and referred to the minimum Meg Ohm reading between the cores and the cores to Earth as 100 Meg Ohm, anyone got any thoughts, just interested that's all, as most of the American Sparks I worked with just did the bang test," would love to hear any thoughts from any of our American members as well, another inane post, sorry

I can't see how anyone would want to work MI without doing IR tests. Even though they get away with just the bang test on PVC & XLPE cables, which are usually either shorted or not, surely it would be in the interests of the wireman to test MI as he goes, to identify any bad seals, wet cable ends that weren't adequately pared back etc. There are more variables in MI until it tests good.

I too have watched a good few American MI termination vids, the ones which use tape and heatshrink instead of a pot and seal are particularly hilarious.
I wonder if the 100meg value you saw was a misinterpretation of the suggested value of 100meg which appears in the pyrotenax instructions?

I too have watched a good few American MI termination vids, the ones which use tape and heatshrink instead of a pot and seal are particularly hilarious.
I wonder if the 100meg value you saw was a misinterpretation of the suggested value of 100meg which appears in the pyrotenax instructions?
May have been what the presenter saw, but 100 Meg was what was mentioned

It's a long time since I've worked with pyro, but back in the 80's nearly all of our work was local authority and was either pyro or steel. Cables were always IR tested before and after sealing and readings were expected to be 'infinity'...which equated to the highest reading the meter would record.
If I was testing new pyro now I would expect the same, as an installation with a lot of pyro's all reading a less than very high IR would result in a unacceptably low global reading.

WP that is exactly what I did. When you "Meggered" the ends it was always "infinity"

Reading this, strange how you remember things like when installing the pyro you always cut the first 6" off the coil because of moisture weep.

Cutting a lump of 2 x 1 the size of your hammer shank, as that was the disance between the clips, so you could dress it

Forming "p" clips into saddles so you can run 2 or 3 cables together

Now that I'm a retired Electrician with nothing to do other than annoy Forum members with inane posts, and browse the net.
I came across some American videos about MICC installations, and having worked in the states on many occasions I found 1 vid rather interesting, a guy "Russ La Blance code violations" Russ was testin IR on a 2 core MICC cable and referred to the minimum Meg Ohm reading between the cores and the cores to Earth as 100 Meg Ohm, anyone got any thoughts, just interested that's all, as most of the American Sparks I worked with just did the bang test," would love to hear any thoughts from any of our American members as well, another inane post, sorry
I thought sparkies never retired.

I thought sparkies never retired.

They do when their knees, hips and elbows don't work, your back can't bend much more than 30degrees, you get dizzy when you get up to quickly, I could go on but I may start sobbing lol

You just get to the point when you know it is not going to go away this time.

In years gone by you could have stuck to 'Forming "p" clips into saddles so you can run 2 or 3 cables together'

WP that is exactly what I did. When you "Meggered" the ends it was always "infinity"

Reading this, strange how you remember things like when installing the pyro you always cut the first 6" off the coil because of moisture weep.

Cutting a lump of 2 x 1 the size of your hammer shank, as that was the disance between the clips, so you could dress it

Forming "p" clips into saddles so you can run 2 or 3 cables together

Or even making multi clips from copper, insulated strip.

My claw hammer handle really dressed well.... along with being a measuring stick.

How I wish I'd have had my mobile for photos 30/40 years back....some of those multi cable trays.

Last edited:
lets not forget using the plumbers blow torch to dry the Pyro out,,,, Ive even put 110v through the cables to get the dampness out.. lots of things we cant do now lol

lets not forget using the plumbers blow torch to dry the Pyro out,,,, Ive even put 110v through the cables to get the dampness out.. lots of things we cant do now lol

I disagree. I still find myself doing plenty of tricks,which hark to an earlier period...

You just dare not pass it on,explain it,back it with a reg...or...say it on a forum! :aureola:

I disagree. I still find myself doing plenty of tricks,which hark to an earlier period...

You just dare not pass it on,explain it,back it with a reg...or...say it on a forum! :aureola:

I happily pass on and explain many of the less than modern methods I know. But sure as hell won't ever admit to them on an open forum.

I wonder how many people on here have synchronised multiple big generators with just a couple of GLS lamps, a switch and cast iron underpants?

These days I dont play with MICC cable as much, then if I do its probably an imperial sized pot to replace. My comment on doing them these days would be more inline with the health and safety, and any RAMS that would need to compliment the job.

I dare say there is nothing wrong with putting 110V down a cable all weekend,as long as it was correctly done, warning labels secure termination and jbs etc. But the amount of houses with MICC cable these days you will not count on one hand unless specified, maybe a thatched roof cottage etc.

Im sure there is no regulation for heating a MICC cable up and drawing the moisture out,but it is one method that works and is still often used under the correct guidance and risk assessment. but there is definitely chapter 42 !! if you really want a regulation. But that is not for putting a naked flame to a MICC cable to draw moisture out

There you have it I cared to explain, I backed it up, and mentioned a reg.. Sunday morning graft done.

I happily pass on and explain many of the less than modern methods I know. But sure as hell won't ever admit to them on an open forum.

I wonder how many people on here have synchronised multiple big generators with just a couple of GLS lamps, a switch and cast iron underpants?

In the good old days before CT testers, to find a fault on a buried cable was the old wheatstone bridge..............but that took a little bit of time and quite a bit of savvy.......................

The other way as told by the "older hands" remove fuse from carrier............replace with a hmmm suitable medium and isolate before refitting carrier.................turn on and the fault becomes evident with displaced earth..............seen it done once but never had a pair larger enough to try it myslef

Only the once, and that was in Cyprus well away from prying eyes

Reply to IR testing in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock