Discuss IR Testing in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Im completing a EICR for an empty shop which is over 3 floors, TNCS 250Amp TP+N supply which feeds a MCCB board, there is a MCCB per floor plus the lift, the tails into the MCCB board are in galv trunking and the supply up to the floors are wired in SWA.

We wanted to test the insulation resistance at same potential on one of the boards, (Single Phase) with the main switch off, the incomming earth disconnected and a link between the neutral bar and line we tested but this returned a 0.00M Ohm reading.

Thinking the mistake being not opening the neutral link at the MCCB board we went down to the MCCB board, (basement) we isolated the supply and opened the neutral link and had the incomming earth disconnected for Ze, we measured continuity between the neutral bar and the earth bar in the MCCB board and measured 0.18 Ohm, obviously a insulation resistance test would just return a 0.00M Ohm reading so we needed to find out what was causing the continuity, we disconnected the bonding to the water and gas but we're still measuring 0.18 Ohm.

Have I missed something stupidly obvious, there is obviously a connection between neutral and earth somewhere but I havent found it as yet

Would have thought the only logical way is disconect each neutral in turn may shed light on it.
Do you think any of the lighting has been cross conected at all from common areas to a floor area, possibly emergency lighting ?
I know that sounds odd but additions do get made over the years or possibly a cable crashed against a backbox ?

Would have thought the only logical way is disconect each neutral in turn may shed light on it.

Will look into that next week, it may be the only way forward

Do you think any of the lighting has been cross conected at all from common areas to a floor area, possibly emergency lighting ?
I know that sounds odd but additions do get made over the years or possibly a cable crashed against a backbox ?

Possibly we do have a last man switch, the emergncy lighting is wired onto the last man switch contactor which isnt correct

Possibly we do have a last man switch, the emergncy lighting is wired onto the last man switch contactor which isnt correct

Be interesting to see where this switch gets its feed live/neutral for the contactor ?
Don't think i can get my head round this switch and the emergency's though.
Let us know how you get on !

I meant the emergency supply is on the same mcb which feeds the contractor coil so pretty useless unless there is a power cut, can you code that or just advise it

Think i have you correct, not advisable setup. does the contactor control more than one circuit ? if so a fault on primary feed circuit will give a blackout on all circuits. Thats why always best to have a dedicated circuit for a contactor or timer. Would be contrary to BS5266. Not the best setup so I would mention it but your only testing the installation so would be an observation without a code.
Somethings ringing in the 7671 but I'm sure one of the book worms will advise better.

edit
Just read that again. Is the contactor making or breaking ?

Last edited:
I had this chased my tail for 2 hours then I looked at one of those 4 way extention leads plugged into the circuit and said to myself na but unplugged it anyway went back to DB IR was >299

I had this chased my tail for 2 hours then I looked at one of those 4 way extention leads plugged into the circuit and said to myself na but unplugged it anyway went back to DB IR was >299

I guess the way forward is to disconnect neutrals until it clears then investigate that floor, never simple!

yep never count out stuff like that..even if new.....we had it the other week on a job in harrogate.....IR reading was crap between line-neutral on a kitchen ring.....dropped all the outlets off and tested point to point......the only thing left was a brand new IP 2 gang outlet just outside the back door.....took it off and tested between the line and neutral terminations on it......yep you guessed it.......

Your bang on with that. I went to an rcd fault and it was just one of them, the type with the surge filter in it.

Reply to IR Testing in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock