Discuss Is 50 too old for a new career? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

@Starjack

I would ask your background as you seem to be a little shy in filling in your profile as I just want to see where your comment earlier comes from about him been too old and you wouldn't employ him?
Do you have experience running a business and employing people?

I am pushing that 50 mark and I would definitely employ a 50yr old against a school leaver nowadays given the mindset of the majority of kids coming out of school over the last decade, I'm pushing fifty and have had enough apprentices to know what age groups tend to be an asset to my business and those that aren't.
I am still as fit and active as I was at 20 so interested to hear why you see a 50yr old as too old, I often pull in some mates in there 50's when I need an extra hand and never had any issues to press.

PS welcome to the forum.

@Starjack How do you even know that @SparkyChick is a female. The internet can be a deceiving place.

I would say if you want to re -train and you can find a way to do it go for it . It’s good to learn new things at any age and at 50 you still have probably 20 years of your working life ahead of you ; more if you remain in good health and you want to continue beyond . Someone will employ you .I’ve come across people from various unorthodox backgrounds over the years . Good luck fella

But think of all the baggage someone of that age would bring, he will no doubt need a good income, could be set in his ways, could come with medical issues and the list goes on and all this while your trying to teach him a very hard trade.
That's why I said no thanks!!!!!
You sure you’re not a fisherman Starjack? I think you might hall in a big catch on this thread.

But think of all the baggage someone of that age would bring, he will no doubt need a good income, could be set in his ways, could come with medical issues and the list goes on and all this while your trying to teach him a very hard trade.
That's why I said no thanks!!!!!
You sure you’re not a fisherman Starjack? I think you might hall in a big catch on this thread.

Last edited:
@Starjack

I would ask your background as you seem to be a little shy in filling in your profile as I just want to see where your comment earlier comes from about him been too old and you wouldn't employ him?
Do you have experience running a business and employing people?

I am pushing that 50 mark and I would definitely employ a 50yr old against a school leaver nowadays given the mindset of the majority of kids coming out of school over the last decade, I'm pushing fifty and have had enough apprentices to know what age groups tend to be an asset to my business and those that aren't.
I am still as fit and active as I was at 20 so interested to hear why you see a 50yr old as too old, I often pull in some mates in there 50's when I need an extra hand and never had any issues to press.

PS welcome to the forum.

Is there anyone on here that's not 50, apart from me.
I run my own business, I am fully qualified and employ 17 full time electricians.
They range from 20 - 45 but the ones at 45 have been electricians all their life. I even employed a midget for a " short " period.
He had to go though once the new socket heights came in plus he was no use for mashing as the worktop was to high for him. I did actually like him but you have to cut away dead wood, no sentiment allowed when running a multi- million pound business.
Oh and sorry to hear your very nearly 50.

Why , are you another foolish disillusioned 50 year old.
No, 55 year old recently retired police officer who, very luckily would not be reliant on earning a high wage, is fit and well (passed higher level annual fitness test for shield trained riot officers), very interested and absorbed by the electrician trade, has own tools, can get out of bed in the morning and would do what I’m told to do without looking at my phone every 30 seconds. Still I understand some people prefer younger men ;) ... and midgets.

No, 55 year old recently retired police officer who, very luckily would not be reliant on earning a high wage, is fit and well (passed higher level annual fitness test for shield trained riot officers), very interested and absorbed by the electrician trade, has own tools, can get out of bed in the morning and would do what I’m told to do without looking at my phone every 30 seconds. Still I understand some people prefer younger men ;)

I have yet to meet a Rozzer that would stand there and allow someone else to tell them what to do..

Definetly not, if anything mature apprentices can be better and more reliable. My advice is to go for it there will always be someone willing to help you learn and give you the chance to get experience

I am 56 , started my company at 48 after being out of this trade for 25 years, added Gas and FGas at 50 yrs old, i dont believe age is a factor to learning at all, being set in your ways is a state of mind not a medical condition, lol.
I suppose i am at the opposite end , i would not employ anyone under 30, they are set in their ways (bloody social media) /irony/ and dont like my music.
No issue with Sjacks position but i wager it will change as he gets older and realises nothing actually happens at 50 except you are wiser and more emotionally mature.... :)

I have yet to meet a Rozzer that would stand there and allow someone else to tell them what to do..
Thing is when you sign up to the filth you say goodbye to a lot of freedom. Bit like the armed forces. You have to and get very used to obeying lawful orders, work where you are told, recall to duty when required etc etc. A bit like being married. :) If you are in a managerial position running a company I’m sure you expect your employees to do what you tell them to do?

I'm in a somewhat similar position - 48, ex-Army officer, recently completed a DI cse - however I am a kept man (wife's career going well) and have an army pension so don't need to earn big money but need to be flexible around my kids (still young and at school).

I found the course easy in respect that my attitude to learning was (in my opinion) better than the youngsters and I took a measured approach to most practical tasks, as well as my maths being being good. However I am also mature/sensible enough to realise that I need practical experience before I can either go it alone or work for someone for decent money; luckily I have an electrician friend who I am working for (mostly for free) in order to gain enough experience in order that I can set up on my own (maybe 6 months).

So in summary it is possible but be prepared to earn little or no money at the start - if money is a big issue then you need to plan for this carefully (maybe night school etc whilst still working and move across when you are ready). But, as others have said, how fit are you? Do you want to be straining you knees/back/etc. in your 50s/60s? You seem sensible enough to be able to take direction from those younger than you as well so I doubt that you will have any issues on the job.

Long-winded and rambling reply but yes it is possible - good luck if you go for it.

excellent post, Matt. could not have put it better myself ( either before or asfter beer :confused::confused::confused:).

Good God, it's like cocoon in here, I keep getting the urge to buy some boiled sweets and earl grey.
Is every mature trainee on here either a Rozzer or Rambo.
Why not sit at home pampering yourselves on your disgracefully fat pensions, while really old people ( over 70 ) struggle on a pittance.
Make way for the younger generation, it's not their fault that you all couldn't hack it at your other jobs and have now decided to be in the best trade around.

Why the dislike @Pete999 dont tell me that's your age at the end of your name, or is it code to let people know you're an ex Rozzer as well.

Reply to Is 50 too old for a new career? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock