• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Is a Fan isolator required in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi guys you've likely had this asked a lot on here. I have been asked to fit a extract fan wi timer in a bathroom for a friend, i have told him he should get a fan isolator but is adamant he does not want one for some reason (for all it would cost). Is it still ok and safe for it to come on with the light?

Hi guys you've likely had this asked a lot on here. I have been asked to fit a extract fan wi timer in a bathroom for a friend, i have told him he should get a fan isolator but is adamant he does not want one for some reason (for all it would cost). Is it still ok and safe for it to come on with the light?
The fan should have a triple pole isolator as it’s a timer fan to be able to isolate for mechanical maintenance (taking off the cover and cleaning it) it would also contravene building regs here in Scotland so my gut instinct would be talk him into it or walk away...

Does approved document f apply in scotland?
Down here it covers the airflow rates required when fitting to an existing building then you must not leave it any worse than it was before hand.

So we follow BS 7671 in existing properties for maintenance ...... Part F isn't relevant

BS 7671 says nothing on the subject if my memory serves me correctly..

A MCB or fuse will act as isolation too. The only reason local isolation maybe required would be so the light stays on while carrying out any maintenace on it.
think that requirement came out when we had candles fitted to out hard hats rather than head torches. :(

Nice to have an isolator though, especially if the fan fails and it is winter. If you turn the circuit off without one and the torch has no batteries it is a hard job to change one lol

Most people have mobile phones with torches ..................

No ones arguing, just stating different points and how it can be resolved in different ways. Theres no hard and fast rule for a local isolator, so much like BS7671 its open to interpretation.

Why do some forum members argue so fiercely against common sense when something isn't strictly required by BS7671, bear in mind this is the minimum standard that we have to conform with.

The question asked was "is one required ?"
The question is only being answered truthfully and accurately. If it's a question of requirements then the minimum standards are relevant.

If the question was "is it best to have one ?" then answers might have been different.

Reply to Is a Fan isolator required in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back