Discuss Is a mother board first fix or second fix in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

D

dandalion

Hi
I am a property developer currently doing a development of some flats.
The contractor was to provide first fix electrics. He is saying this doesnt include the mother board and all the bit within it (I am not sure of the technical terms). but it seems to me that a mother board should be first fix.
grateful for any advice.
Many thanks,
Leo

Welcome to the forum. If the sparky has quoted for first fix of the flats, that is what he has quoted for. The main DB/main board and the running of cables to the flats or the local main boards are a different matter.

Think of it like a road system..... Motorway = Main board leading to an....
'A' road = main board for that floor leading to......
a Cul de Sac = The flat!

What did you ask him to first fix? Just the flats or the cabling for the mains to each floor + the boards?

Hi
The contractor was to provide first fix electrics. He is saying this doesnt include the mother board and all the bit within it (I am not sure of the technical terms). but it seems to me that a mother board should be first fix.
grateful for any advice.
Many thanks,
Leo

By mother board I assume you mean distribution board/consumer unit...that's normally 2nd fix, unless it is a flush unit. First fix is cables and flush boxes installed to enable walls/ceilings to be boarded and plastered.

the first fix would include cables to the DB or CU. any equipment or accessories come under 2nd fix and commissioning.

Hi
grateful for any advice.
Many thanks,
Leo

why should the "mother board" be part of the first fix?

Surely you have contracted him to do the 2nd fix too?

First fix is throwing a few cables around, back boxes etc. Second fix is fitting out plus CU.

Think the OP wants the 1st DB up and running for temporary + the 110V supplies for the trades. That is another set of works and another quote (just reading in-between the lines lads).

Throwing a few cables around? Don't make it sound too easy, people will try to go to college for 5 weeks and have a bash!! Oh wait.........

Don't know about the Mother being bored , but I sure am , pass the bottle ...

Think the OP wants the 1st DB up and running for temporary + the 110V supplies for the trades. That is another set of works and another quote (just reading in-between the lines lads).

I was thinking about asking him if he had a temporary supply!

Lets play nicely Gentlemen or this will be sent to the DIY section.

Whit, banter and jovial is cool. Calm down on the rest before it starts lol.

Which is exactly where it belongs!

Not just yet dave. The Op is not a DIYer, he is a developer asking about a quote he has received. If this thread needs to be transferred into the DIY section due to members giving sarcastic remarks, it will do and the members will be noticed (yet again).

If any member has a problem with any thread or post, please feel free to hit the report button.

This thread is a good example of when a thread should "have a lock down" where only the OP & the mods can contribute....

A developer who doesn't know what first fix is? Or what a CU is called?

Pull the other one!

Reply to Is a mother board first fix or second fix in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock