Discuss Is a web-page necessary as I do not understand it's worth for more work. in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

sham

-
Reaction score
I never have and still do not understand how a web page can get me more work. I can't imagine someone in their underpants on the internet typing for an electrician whereas he can ask his neighbour or someone anywhere or phone a friend. Most of the work I have got is through friends and me giving my card out every time I get the chance. I am aware of that is the way forward now. I just can't see my someone typing electrician and my web-page comes up first. So, can someone please enlighten me. Please! What are the advantages?

Having a web page won't get you any more work.

Having a web page or a web site that ranks well in google searches for the right keywords (eg electrician west midlands), will get you work as folk look to google for everything.

Having a web page won't get you any more work.

Having a web page or a web site that ranks well in google searches for the right keywords (eg electrician west midlands), will get you work as folk look to google for everything.
People have found me through NIC website, which surprised me. Not allot though.

Word of mouth is better - other than being free you are also recommended so probably onto a winner already.

Website/Facebook - I find a lot of people that contact me this way can be a bit of a waste of time. Quite easy to suss them out though. Things like asking to do a site visit in order to give an accurate quote (if it's not silly little jobs like connecting a cooker or installing a new light fitting)

Explain please? are you talking about yellow pages online.
No, I'm talking about my own companies website. Yell.com I think as a free listing I've got 0 jobs in the last 8 years. And I wouldn't pay to list with them.

You'd need to build a website or webpage, get a relevant domain (shamelectrical.co.uk say), and in that website/webpage put relevant content and use some keywords that are relevant to what folk are looking. It won't happen isntantly, but if someone searched for "electrician west midlands", shamelectrical.co.uk should start to appear.

Obviously you want to be more focused with location than that, but that's the general idea.

I find people often look at my website before calling or emailing me .....

The downside is that a lot of cheap skates enquire this way and are simply looking for the cheapest price ....

As 123 has pointed out, if you have a website which ranks well (for relevant key words - short tail and long tail) in search engines (and let's be honest, essentially Google is king here now) then you will get enquiries. This will take time to achieve as Google certainly won't catapult you to the top with its algorithms.

when i needed a gas registered plumber to cap off the gas in our kitchen i looked on the corgi site and then looked at their website so i could gauge their ability.

i set one up using wix templates and paid around £15 for 12 months. purely so i have a online presence, around this way people if there friends or family recommend you will then go online and google you.
My site is nothing fancy just straightforward and allows people to contact you.
Even if you have no website list your business on google and it will appear on google maps. then if you search for electrician in x town or x postcode it will show you and others as a red dot..

I have never paid for SEO .... and my site comes out really high most of the time .....
SEO is essential. But as you allude to that doesn't mean that it has to cost you anything. If you are savvy and research it properly then there is no reason that you can't try doing your own SEO.

I wouldn't go under the name of " sham" electrical though - just saying
I dont know.... if you take trading standards in this area as an example. a few years back they set up a shop in bristol city centre and everything in there was fake at really good prices, it was only when you got to the till to pay that they told you and gave you a leaflet to tell you to dont be daft... some people still wanted to buy the stuff even though they were being told it was dangerous and could catch fire (cheap batteries and chargers) it all comes down to price! 99% of the average domestic sector care about that and it works. names, certs etc barely comes into it.

I never have and still do not understand how a web page can get me more work. I can't imagine someone in their underpants on the internet typing for an electrician whereas he can ask his neighbour or someone anywhere or phone a friend. Most of the work I have got is through friends and me giving my card out every time I get the chance. I am aware of that is the way forward now. I just can't see my someone typing electrician and my web-page comes up first. So, can someone please enlighten me. Please! What are the advantages?

I use google analytics and I get over 1000 people that find me via google.
It also tells me how many people ask for directions to my office and how many people call via the number.

You would be surprised if you put yourself out there. But there again I am in London which is densely populated.

Reply to Is a web-page necessary as I do not understand it's worth for more work. in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock