• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Is drilling rafters OK? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

R

Rich_123

Hi guys,

Had some work done on the weekend from an electrician on a 200 yr old cottage we are renovating. Noticed that one bit of work he has chased/wired up from under the floor, added some sockets and then continue up and round a window - drilling through 8 rafters in the process. He then wired down the other side to create a new socket then down into the brick again.

Just wanted some advice about the work and whether it was the right thing to do. Are there any regs around it? I've got a few photos - sorry they're not the best quality.

Would love any info or advice you might have.

Thanks,

Rich

Is drilling rafters OK? Wide view - EletriciansForums.net

Is drilling rafters OK? Left side - EletriciansForums.net

Is drilling rafters OK? Rafters - EletriciansForums.net

those rafters were installed before the clever pencil necks came in with their crafty stress calculations in order to make roof timbers as cheaply as possible without collapsing. it will be fine. those wet-pants pipes will have caused far more structural weakness than the sparks' cable holes.

Nice gaff by the way - post a finished photo once the work is done - we're awfully nosey and now that you've entered our world - you owe us. All the best with the renovation.

Why would you not trust your electrician? It sounds like you have a problem with the cable routing. Have you raised it with your electrician? If there was any problem I would be a little curious about the cable coming through the window frame.

I can't imagine a 13 or 16mm hole is going to reduce the strength of those timbers .... unlike the flimsy "carp" that houses get built with these days!
murdoch, that cottage is 200 years old. to keep in character, them holes should be 1/2" and/or 5/8". get a grip. :)

Thank you for all your replies it's appreciated.

I don't understand why he went up and around the top of the window rather than under it - which would have saved the drilling - especially as he had already made channels coming up from the floor. I'm waiting on an answer from him at the moment, unfortunately we can can only work on it over the weekends so we can't always be onsite.

The cable coming through the window goes up to an old satellite dish which we are removing, and the windows are being replaced as well...

Regarding the rafters I'm going to have to remove the wiring, then I'll baton / strengthen the main support, put Celotex in the cavities the re-wire under the window.

Under Regulation L, you can drill through the middle of solid wood joists in the UK Read it as part of my current electrical course fairly recently, but in America you can't drill their composite (not solid wood) joists.

Regarding the rafters I'm going to have to remove the wiring, then I'll baton / strengthen the main support, put Celotex in the cavities the re-wire under the window.

more than 1 post has told you there's no compromise to the strength of those timbers.
I'm out.

Reply to Is drilling rafters OK? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back