Discuss Is it BS88-2? in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

DomB

Hi all,

Ref the pic attached, is that a BS88-2 fuse with nominal rating of 100A? And any thoughts on what the "Max Demand" (in kVA / Amps) would be?

The writing on the fuse says just "100A 3/16" DIA" on one side and "Made in England BIGG" (those were the days!) on the other:

photooffuse.JPG

Thanks in advance for any help..

Attachments

• photooffuse.JPG
    65.6 KB · Views: 138
Thanks very much. It's in fairly solid - doesn't feel like it'd fall out from a mini earthquake (although I can't say the same for the garage it's in!). It's for a NAPIT EIC - I guess putting 88-6 is the go.

Cheers

It is a BS1361 100a Cylindrical House Service Cut-Out Fuse

BS 88 fuses have lugs at each end to be bolted on to.

The Maximum demand is the information given to the DNO when the installation would have been first installed.

Thanks anti good call wasn't 100% sure if it was the 1361 which is why I didn't rule out the BS 88-6

Yes but you;ll have to forgive old habits Ian as they do die hard it is indeed a BS 88-3 now, though by the looks of that carrier it will have 1361 on it

Last edited:
to be honest you dont know what is in there unless you look. It could be 100A but it may also be 80A or even 60A what is on the carrier is not always what has been fitted

so now we need a bigger box on the cert to fit all these new letters and numbers in?????

errm, dare I ask what should be put in the "Max Demand" part of the EIC (also under "Supply Protective Device Characteristics")..?

Think you had better read note 2 on page 2 at bottom of the table

http://electrical.------.org/wiring-matters/35/fuses.cfm?type=pdf

from your link

BS 88-2.2:1988 Industrial fuse systems
BS 88-6:1988 Fuses for domestic applications
BS 88-5: 1988 Fuse-links for use in a.c. electricity
supply networks
BS 1361:1971 Cartridge fuses for a.c. circuits in
domestic premises

errm, dare I ask what should be put in the "Max Demand" part of the EIC (also under "Supply Protective Device Characteristics")..?
rule of thumb, add up your breakers and divide by 2.

from your link

BS 88-2.2:1988 Industrial fuse systems
BS 88-6:1988 Fuses for domestic applications
BS 88-5: 1988 Fuse-links for use in a.c. electricity
supply networks
BS 1361:1971 Cartridge fuses for a.c. circuits in
domestic premises
so, having read all that, it appears that they are all now BS88-3 (domestic supply fuse)

Where does it say that?

i meant that, according to ian's link, BS1361 incorporated into BS88-3 (domestic supply fuses) but then it says BS and BSEN numbers withdrawn 2010. confusion or what. is it just the numbers they have changed , or the actual fuse characteristics?

Reply to Is it BS88-2? in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net