Discuss Is it meant to do this? in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

C

cripster

I'm in the kitchen making an ovenhousing. The wife is upstairs with the boy. Wife says to boy "Shower time". Boy goes in to bathroom, wife turns shower on. I'm still in the kitchen and am aware of a flash, I put it down to car headlights going past my kitchen window. Few seconds later the wife shouts "For cooking chips! the showers stopped!". I go up to investigate and indeed the shower has stopped. I check pull cord and notice no neon light. I go back downstairs. I go through the kitchen/garage door and am aware of a burning smell. I locate shower fuse box and find this.... Is it meant to do this? 67111_10151232497298961_661773446_n - EletriciansForums.net ... I have been told that existing cable is too small for a shower. I have replaced wire with 10mm. I have also been told as new cable constitutes a new install I now need to have an 'RCBO' fitted to conform with 'part p'. How do I know or could someone suggest a decent 'RCBO'. AND does this mean I need a new fuse box or does new 'RCBO' negate the need? Shower is a Showerforce 10.4 (10.4kw)... If it still works. I must add that whie disconnecting 'old' cable from pullcord end, I noticed that the insulation had disintergrated and I guess thats what shorted out causing minor explosion.

Cheers

Cripster

P.S. I'm just doing the 'donkey work' a sparky mate will connect and test and certify the dangerous stuff.

You would be better off getting an electrician in. Fitting an RCBO means you would have to have that little fuse box replaced because the RCBO's are mounted on a DIN rail. In answer to your title, no, it isn't meant to do that ;)

That's been burning for some time by the looks of it that hasn't just happened with a single flash!! The flash you saw, was the final straw and took the fuse apart!!

The cable feeding the Switch fuse is visibly undersized and the cable leaving the switch fuse is even smaller...lol!! Do you really need an answer to your thread title?? lol!!

Nope. It happend in a flash. I'd been in and out the garage all day and everything was hunky dory. The cable feeding the switch actually comes from the 'in feed' of another fuse box next to the switch. You recommend that be changed too then?

To give you the 'whole picture' as it were. Here is the 'whole picture'. Please excuse the mess but we did have a minor explosion! ...

Is it meant to do this? Fuse boxes - EletriciansForums.net

(The fuse thats missing is for the cooker... thats a whole new thread for a later date )

Oh, and the 'explosion' actually knocked the box off the wall, I put it back to take the photo :/

Nope. It happend in a flash. I'd been in and out the garage all day and everything was hunky dory. The cable feeding the switch actually comes from the 'in feed' of another fuse box next to the switch. You recommend that be changed too then?

I can assure you, it didn't happen in a single flash!!, And it wasn't all hunky dory before that flash either!!

Get yourself a Double Pole RCBO and enclosure to replace the burnt out switch fuse!!

Re your questions, can't tell without being there.
Must have been one hell of a bang!
Had a cable spontaneously blow up under my hall floor once, could see the flash in the next room through the floorboard gaps and the noise...!!!

E54 is trying to say that this was probably sizzling away quite nicely within the CU for some time, and no you wouldn't notice it, because most people never do, the amount that i see where i pop the cover off boards and something is burnt, no one is ever the wiser. and it would have been fine earlier, because you wernt using the shower.

I would replace both of the boards with a new CU for peace of mind for you and your family, you probably don't need to worry about the one on the left as id guess that's for storage heaters.

No i mean the main cover that covers all of the guts, this burning almost certainly started at one of the terminals.

Ah. Sense is in the making. Do you think sizzling due to underated cable or lack of insulation discoverd inside pullcord... or just old, tired cable. House was built in T'70's.

undersized cable
Oversized Fuse
Loose terminations
Over expanded terminal jaws

Could be any of the above, hence i said change both of the boards

conversation i had with a builder today went something like this...............

you can't put that shower in the bathroom.

why not?

because it's 10.8kw and your cable's only 6 mill' squared.

so what?

so you need a bigger cable or a smaller shower.

why?

because the shower you've got has a FLC of over 45A, and your cable is only rated at 38A.

it'll be alright.

no it won't.

'course it will.

well, why did you ask me then?

because i wanted your advice.

so why are you arguing with me then?

i'm not, you're just wrong. everyone knows a shower's wired in 6mm cable.

see you later.

Reply to Is it meant to do this? in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock