Discuss Is it meant to do this? in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

conversation i had with a builder today went something like this...............

you can't put that shower in the bathroom.

why not?

because it's 10.8kw and your cable's only 6 mill' squared.

so what?

so you need a bigger cable or a smaller shower.

why?

because the shower you've got has a FLC of over 45A, and your cable is only rated at 38A.

it'll be alright.

no it won't.

'course it will.

well, why did you ask me then?

because i wanted your advice.

so why are you arguing with me then?

i'm not, you're just wrong. everyone knows a shower's wired in 6mm cable.

see you later.

Nooooob head

Crisper, with the greatest respect, if your electrician "mate" is going to connect it all up, test it, fill out the EIC and notify the install to LBC as his work, I would strongly suggest that you take his advice and not a public forums'.
When people come on here asking for advice stating that an electrician will get involved "at the end", it normally means there isn't one.

copper???? too expensive. when a 2" nail will do the job just as well.

conversation i had with a builder today went something like this...............

you can't put that shower in the bathroom.

why not?

because it's 10.8kw and your cable's only 6 mill' squared.

so what?

so you need a bigger cable or a smaller shower.

why?

because the shower you've got has a FLC of over 45A, and your cable is only rated at 38A.

it'll be alright.

no it won't.

'course it will.

well, why did you ask me then?

because i wanted your advice.

so why are you arguing with me then?

i'm not, you're just wrong. everyone knows a shower's wired in 6mm cable.

see you later.

WOW!!! ............ Talk about Deja Vu - this is almost exactly the same conversation I had last week with my builder mate who I have been trying to help!!

Looks like some folk just can't or won't be helped.

I think what we all come across is the fact that builders/plumbers/tilers etc. are all doing electrical work that they shouldn't. When they get a chance to confirm (ask) if what they have been doing is ok, and we say it isn't, they simply get upset and argumentative because they know they're in the wrong but can't do anything about it now.
Sooo many other trades think that it's all easy and straightforward because they've watched a sparky carry out a particular job, they just rush blindly into getting it to work, then job done.

get rid of those horrible 3036 fuse boards and replace all 3 with a nice split load, RCD board.

might aswell RCD all circuits if its suitable, much safer than your current setup..

get rid of those horrible 3036 fuse boards and replace all 3 with a nice split load, RCD board.

might aswell RCD all circuits if its suitable, much safer than your current setup..

My thoughts exactly. ( >for the pessimists< My imaginary 'sparky' mate, who is not currently overseas dodging bullets for 'Queen and country. And will not be doing the legal stuff when he comes back on R&R has basically said the same. The reason I'm on here is to get an idea of what to 'fix to walls' and 'proper' cabling so when/if he gets back, he doesn't have to fish about doing the 'donkey work'... he deserves a rest after all ;))... Thanks 'shocking_eg' ... appreciate your time.

Reply to Is it meant to do this? in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net