Discuss Is it OK to terminate switched fused spur with 13A socket? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

That's an interesting thought. The two new machines both have quite short mains cables, especially the washing machine.

With longer leads, I could consider installing all three sockets inside an adjacent tall larder unit. In that case, I guess I would just use switched sockets and forget about having DP isolation switches.
You could always get DP switched Sockets?

That's an interesting thought. The two new machines both have quite short mains cables, especially the washing machine.

With longer leads, I could consider installing all three sockets inside an adjacent tall larder unit. In that case, I guess I would just use switched sockets and forget about having DP isolation switches.
Well done.......I see the old grey matter has just kicked in.

That doesn't normally happen until well after lunch on a Sunday :)

I would ensure you use a longer lead supplied via the manufacturer, if one is available. Cutting off a moulded plug is unlikely to invalidate a warranty, replacing their lead with your own might. They might also stipulate that it would need replacing by one of their engineers or a qualified electrician.

I would ensure you use a longer lead supplied via the manufacturer, if one is available. Cutting off a moulded plug is unlikely to invalidate a warranty, replacing their lead with your own might. They might also stipulate that it would need replacing by one of their engineers or a qualified electrician.
I have already emailed the manufacturer to ask if longer mains cables are available, though until I read your post I had been thinking that there was probably nothing to stop me from replacing the cables myself.

Another answer could be to cut off the plugs and use an inline cable connector to extend the cable. That way, I would not be interfering with the internals of the appliance.

I have already emailed the manufacturer to ask if longer mains cables are available, though until I read your post I had been thinking that there was probably nothing to stop me from replacing the cables myself.

Another answer could be to cut off the plugs and use an inline cable connector to extend the cable. That way, I would not be interfering with the internals of the appliance.

An inline connector is an option, but would try for a replacement lead if possible. Unnecessary connections, can always prove problematic, especially once its installed below a floor unit. :(

Edit, some of those in-line connectors are rated at 10amp or less.

Fit socket in adjacent cupboard. No depth problems then - even when you change an appliance in a few years and realise that the plug/socket arrangement now doesn't give enough clearance for the new appliance.

Its always tricky to make a decision regarding this lay out when considering all factors. Personally I prefer to site the sockets/connection points in positions which are accessible without removal of the appliance. In your case this might not be a practical option so would probably go with one of the methods already suggested on this thread thus far.
Just a quick thought only partly related to the electrical consideration. Are you intending to install worktop support panels between each appliance? 1846mm is quite a length of work top to be unsupported, though I'm sure you have considered this?

Just a quick thought only partly related to the electrical consideration. Are you intending to install worktop support panels between each appliance? 1846mm is quite a length of work top to be unsupported, though I'm sure you have considered this?

Presumably will be battened to the wall though, so not entirely unsupported.

Presumably will be battened to the wall though, so not entirely unsupported.
Yes, I presume so, but if it is the typical laminated off the shelf type, in my experience they still have a tendency to bow unless supported periodically @ no more than 600mm - 800mm

Maybe a chrome post in the middle?

Yeah its an option, but the OP mentions he has 23mm between each appliance suggesting room maybe a bit on the tight side. Without seeing the plans an 18mm décor end panel each side of the centre appliance would be my choice. This would, in my opinion, be aesthetically better and may also help to determine the choice of electrical connection for the appliances.

I was aware that some support would be required for the worktop, but was trying to avoid the option of using decor panels that would totally fill the gap between the machines. My preference is for a solution that allows a greater degree of airflow.

I've not yet discussed this with my chosen installer, but the idea of using chromed metal posts came up in a discussion this morning with a potential supplier of the kitchen units that will sit on each side of the appliances. One post in each gap might be enough, assuming the presence of wall battens, but I think it would have to be fairly near the front rather than the middle. Installing two posts in each gap is another option.

On the electrical front, the supplier of our new washer and dryer has told me that they only supply replacement mains cords at the original lengths. I will now take a closer look at how much disassembly is needed to replace these cables.

Is there not a way to fit one (or both) of your cupboards between the appliances? My preference is always to fit socket outlets in adjacent cupboards. This also avoids the need for extra unsightly FCU's to tile around above the worktop. And less danger of being inadvertently switched off...

Re worktop span. Yes you would need additional support. Job I've just been on similar situation. They used 2 x large 90 degree wall brackets fixed directly underneath worktop. If no support, worktop will bow within a short time.

Is there not a way to fit one (or both) of your cupboards between the appliances? My preference is always to fit socket outlets in adjacent cupboards. This also avoids the need for extra unsightly FCU's to tile around above the worktop. And less danger of being inadvertently switched off...
That's not a very practical option in our situation, as it would severely limit the storage capacity in the utility room. My plan is to have the 3 appliances sit in a row under the window, which is almost as wide as the machines. The rest of that wall is taken up by a tall larder unit on the right and a corner unit on the left. There will also be a pair of wall cabinets above the corner unit (one of which will act as a cover for the CH boiler). If I put a base unit in the middle then I would have to lose the tall larder unit.

Reply to Is it OK to terminate switched fused spur with 13A socket? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock