Discuss Is it right?? - Police officer still working for police and doing electrical and plumbing work in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I don't have an axe to grind at all, I think you have defeated your own argument in your statement actually. The fact that a copper is already doing a very demanding and time consuming job (the one in question is plain clothes), to me suggests he will not have the time to do another fairly demanding one, at least properly.

So where does that leave full-time sparks that work 70 hour weeks? Where is the cut off point? Is it 40 hours, so that once a spark has worked 40 hours he isn't allowed to work any more that week since it's a demanding and time consuming job, and he obviously "will not have the time to do more fairly demanding work, at least properly". After 40 hours is he getting greedy and "pinching work from the pot" of other sparks? Once he hits a 40 hour week should he redirect his number to a spark that is not getting enough work?

Your argument is completely flawed. I could understand where you are coming from if you were specifically talking about this guy in particular, but you've already made it clear in the thread that you are making a more sweeping statement about anyone working in the field whilst having a primary job. Okay, you've encountered a poor spark. I don't see how you can take that experience and say anyone else in a similar position won't have the tools/experience/knowledge to carry out the job properly. I've seen full-time sparks who haven't a clue, and part-time sparks who are brilliant.

But since you seem to be know what tools people possess based on your own intuition, I wonder if you could tell me exactly what's in my van (and yes, you can have a Titan SDS as the first item on the list)

So where does that leave full-time sparks that work 70 hour weeks? Where is the cut off point? Is it 40 hours, so that once a spark has worked 40 hours he isn't allowed to work any more that week since it's a demanding and time consuming job, and he obviously "will not have the time to do more fairly demanding work, at least properly". After 40 hours is he getting greedy and "pinching work from the pot" of other sparks? Once he hits a 40 hour week should he redirect his number to a spark that is not getting enough work?

Your argument is completely flawed. I could understand where you are coming from if you were specifically talking about this guy in particular, but you've already made it clear in the thread that you are making a more sweeping statement about anyone working in the field whilst having a primary job. Okay, you've encountered a poor spark. I don't see how you can take that experience and say anyone else in a similar position won't have the tools/experience/knowledge to carry out the job properly. I've seen full-time sparks who haven't a clue, and part-time sparks who are brilliant.

But since you seem to be know what tools people possess based on your own intuition, I wonder if you could tell me exactly what's in my van (and yes, you can have a Titan SDS as the first item on the list)
Is it the wrong time of the month??

I just want to have a mature discussion with you about it, to try and see if there's any logic in your argument at all.
Well, I have put my point over quite comprehensively regarding this subject, we will have to agree to disagree. If you want a mature argument then maybe it would be better to refrain from attacking my point in quite such an aggressive manner, hence my last comment. It is my opinion that undertaking electrical work in a professional manner is not something that can be done on an "on the side" basis, particularly when the person involved has a very demanding main occupation. Quite what I think is in the back of your or anyone else's van is quite irrelevant and smacks a bit of a "rant", I think. If a particular Sparky chooses to work a 70 hour week (good luck to them), then that is also irrelevant, as they will obviously be giving the job their full attention.

Well, I have put my point over quite comprehensively regarding this subject, we will have to agree to disagree. If you want a mature argument then maybe it would be better to refrain from attacking my point in quite such an aggressive manner, hence my last comment. It is my opinion that undertaking electrical work in a professional manner is not something that can be done on an "on the side" basis, particularly when the person involved has a very demanding main occupation. Quite what I think is in the back of your or anyone else's van is quite irrelevant and smacks a bit of a "rant", I think. If a particular Sparky chooses to work a 70 hour week (good luck to them), then that is also irrelevant, as they will obviously be giving the job their full attention.

I work as a nurse for 2 days (pretty demanding 12 hour shifts) per week and have the other 5 days to book in electrical work. I have the necessary qualifications and public liability insurance and I am registered with a scheme. I take a great deal of pride in my work and have 3 rules in priority order:

1. Do a good safe job
2. Enjoy the job I am working on
3. Earn some money

Just to blow my trumpet I also came 2nd (damn that 1st place install! It was good though!) in a competition on this site showing pictures of your installs. I also have a good client base with one client only the other day telling me they would pay whatever prices I asked as they have complete trust in me.
I do think you're perhaps being a little short sighted here Sparksburnout. I am able to see your point of view about this particular policeman but not all the other bits you are saying about having secondary employment.

Anyway it's my day off today, I have the woodburner lit, have finished my invoices and quotes and it's time for a cup of tea :)

I work as a nurse for 2 days (pretty demanding 12 hour shifts) per week and have the other 5 days to book in electrical work. I have the necessary qualifications and public liability insurance and I am registered with a scheme. I take a great deal of pride in my work and have 3 rules in priority order:

1. Do a good safe job
2. Enjoy the job I am working on
3. Earn some money

Just to blow my trumpet I also came 2nd (damn that 1st place install! It was good though!) in a competition on this site showing pictures of your installs. I also have a good client base with one client only the other day telling me they would pay whatever prices I asked as they have complete trust in me.
I do think you're perhaps being a little short sighted here Sparksburnout. I am able to see your point of view about this particular policeman but not all the other bits you are saying about having secondary employment.

Anyway it's my day off today, I have the woodburner lit, have finished my invoices and quotes and it's time for a cup of tea :)
2 days a week is not quite the same as a full time plain clothes policeman though is it?

2 days a week is not quite the same as a full time plain clothes policeman though is it?
2 + 5 = 7. Not drawing HHD into this one, but that means he has no time off from work, yet it appears he is doing a good job with both roles. Some people will work all the hours God sends, not suggesting HHD does, and seem to thrive on it, especially two different types of jobs.

Think the issue you have, is with this particular person, the copper / sparks. Just because he is doing a bad job, doesn't mean everybody else does in a similar situation.

Aww... You guys, with your one, or two, jobs. That's cute. :)
Excellent contribution Steve, brilliant, well done.
Aww... You guys, with your one, or two, jobs. That's cute. :)
Steady on Steve. You'll end up with a reputation of a greedy sod
I know you wear-siders don't have too much to brag about but don't involve my fellow countyman, poor sods doing his best, not his fault he can't contribute much is it??

That's the first sensible thing you've said all thread! Seriously, well done for recognising I'm not a geordie - many don't even know the difference.
Well I thought you were all just jocks with your heads bashed in, or is it the other way round? Anyway me ma came from up there so I suppose I have got some loose connections, in more ways than one......

Reply to Is it right?? - Police officer still working for police and doing electrical and plumbing work in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net