Discuss Is it worth Taking on more work and expanding business in these hard times in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

E

egginyourface

Evening all,

As the title suggests, is it worth taking on extra work and trying to expand or is better to play safe? ?

At the moment I don't have the worry of competing with others as I only have myself to worry about and don't have to come up with wages at the end of every week.

What are your thoughts on expanding in domestic work

It all depends on your work load, If you comfortably working at the moment and not losing jobs due to waiting time then why bother, On the other hand if taking on more work and more help then you have to decide after paying the extra pair of hands are you going to be making a better profit.

thats a decision only you can make.
often you may schedule extra work ahead of time and your customer will be ok with it
but thats also up to your custormers as well

I've been on my own for 10 years now and can safely say the lads that have 2 or 3 boys working for them are no better off than me.you end up taking jobs on that you would walk away from normally just to give the boys a job at little to zero margin for yourself.if I don't like the cut of someone's jib I don't work for them it's that simple.ive got a good customer base that I don't need to go out of to keep me going which makes things easier I suppose. I never wanted to be Balfour Beatty anyway.the choice is yours.

It's all about cash flow, end of, if you have money behind you to take on work and pay bills whilst waiting for payments then go for it, if not don't do it, Thats my view and experience.

Mike

Thanks all. I'm the type to play it safe. Dnt really want to be taking on work just to be keeping workers busy.

For the moment I'm content with how things are. Might get me an apprentice to help with chasing work

Personally I'd always just use a subby or a cash casual over getting a PAYE guy. You can drop a subby like a sack of sh*te when he ceases to be useful and then pick him up again when it suits you (I know, I know, Im a capitalist pig). There are plenty of out of work guys out there who are willing to work for £80-£150 a day which can prove very profitable for you if they are any good and you are taking on large jobs on decent price.

I'll work for £100 a week (anymore and it affects my Carers Allowance)
If you want any kind of intelligent work doing...multiply by a minimum of 10.

You wind up using work opportunities with that you just might vanish coming from normally in order to supply the boys a job with small to be able to actually zero border for you. only don't like the particular reduce regarding somebody's jib My partner and i do not benefit all of them it can be that simple.

Reply to Is it worth Taking on more work and expanding business in these hard times in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock