Discuss Is Nest compatible with my wiring? in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

I think the boiler manufacturers and the smart thermostat manufactures need to create decent reliable fool proof information ....

Here's hoping!
I would be interested to know what the consequences would be for all concerned if a diyer did it themselves and then either caused the boiler to malfunction and cause harm somehow.... nest have all the clauses in the paperwork saying not our fault use a professional. would they throw the gas regs at them and say shouldn't have removed or opened the boiler cover to install it as they are not gas safe? could have implications on insurance etc...

^^

I quite agree, but it doesn't stop numpties by the dozen buying this stuff and expecting people like us to give them step by step instructions

I think the boiler manufacturers and the smart thermostat manufactures need to create decent reliable fool proof information ....

Here's hoping!
Don't they do that already?
Each give the installation manuals, and say get someone competent/that is qualified to install them to local standards etc etc to install them.

thats how there built and that why they come pre wired, for the sparks so they dont have to remove the case

also were allowed to connect into fcu no need for sparks unless there isnt one then its a sparks job

I’ve never yet seen a boiler fully pre-wired. Sure Worcester’s turn up with an incoming supply cable but there’s no pre-wired external controls cabling.

I didn't say I required ... From the number of posts on here it's obvious that the manufacturers information isn't sufficient or clear enough ..

as with the vast majority of DIY questions on this forum the supplied instructions are very clear, it’s the idiots who don’t read them properly, guess or follow online videos of unknown quality etc that are the problem.

I installed a nest thermostat to a new worcester combi the other day. I was impressed as the electrical front panel unscrewed from the bottom with 3 screws. the front case wasn't touched and you couldn't see any of the internal plumbing

just the wiring for the boiler

use there controls or ask the gsr engy to wire it up to externally

Even using their controls you still need to connect cables into the boiler, unless you expect everyone to have the basic plug in modules that go in the front of the boiler?

You can’t ask the plumber to connect the cables to the boiler because the vast majority of them don’t know what they are doing.

use there controls or ask the gsr engy to wire it up to externally
Seriously? Most of the ones I know can't connect up a plug top to any sort of a standard to get the boiler running temporarily. I certainly wouldn't fancy seeing them let lose with doing the heating controls.

I installed a nest thermostat to a new worcester combi the other day. I was impressed as the electrical front panel unscrewed from the bottom with 3 screws. the front case wasn't touched and you couldn't see any of the internal plumbing

Nearly sure that model/version has been discontinued. I haven't see a new install with it in quite some time.

Compact and si have this

Even using their controls you still need to connect cables into the boiler, unless you expect everyone to have the basic plug in modules that go in the front of the boiler?

You can’t ask the plumber to connect the cables to the boiler because the vast majority of them don’t know what they are doing.

Not with Worcester own controls, I wouldn't say they were basic all there missing is internet control but that's there wave system

It's two cores ls (live sent) lr (live return) eg switch live

Not hard

Reply to Is Nest compatible with my wiring? in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net