Discuss Is oven socket too close to back of oven? in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi I'm looking for a bit of advice regarding my oven plug socket. I thought my oven had packed in as it cut out, no heat, no fan, no clock display basically no power at all. I decided to replace it and had it removed to find the plug had melted. Can any one tell me if it's because the socket is located directly behind the oven? and should the socket be moved? 20180928_214634.jpg 20180928_214634.jpg 20180928_103019.jpg

20180928_102204.jpg

20180928_102156.jpg

Most likely a poor connection on the fuse or on the live wire where it was connected in the plug.

Cut the cable just below the old plug, strip the cable again and replace both the plug and the wall socket. If you just replace the plug there's a high probability it will burn again.

Fahrenheit??..... Not to be used here, unless you are spraying it on your bod, so the rampant totty jump on you more...
we are Brexit. Fahrenheit, yards, poles, chains, furlongs, pounds, ounces, tons. 7/029 and ft.lbs. so THERE. and there's acres of foolscap awaiting scribbling on.

You will need to get an electrician to replace the socket on the wall behind the oven but I would definitely get them to look at the rating of the oven as well to make sure that it is suitable to be used on a plug.

It may be a loose connection as Marvo and some others have said but it could also be that the oven needs to be on it's own circuit, the electrician will advise on this.

One of the well know kitchen suppliers now have a label on the oven flex informing not to fit a plug to it.
Most of us will have been to this scenario.

3 issues here:

low quality socket and connections
low quality plug and connections
oven too close to plug - ovens are getting bigger, so placing a socket directly behind an oven is never a good idea, never mind not being able to isolate it

space being the critical issue here. too tight means oven won't fit flush. end of the day, space is the final frontier. live long and prosper. warp factor 9 Scotty.

Don’t forget the ‘fake fuse’ debacle acting as a miniature one bar fire inside of the ‘plug top’ (just for George!).
The heat production on a 2 hour slow cooked beef joint coupled with poor connections . . .
Break the fuse and seek the silica sand!
(Starting to sound like @buzzlightyear again!)

Looking carefully at the image, the cross-section of the white cable, and the permanent obtuse angle bend followed shortly by a U bend in the cable, suggest to me the connection has been made in solid T&E - I'd guess 2.5mm2.

Whatever. The way-ahead is to get the oven connected properly according to its power demand by an electrician and for the oven to be tested too.

Reply to Is oven socket too close to back of oven? in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net