Discuss Is this a joke of a job advert? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

it's a bloody joke, but sadly some skint guys are going to apply. just drags the rates down lower.

christ. i was on that rate 30 years ago.

scandalous advert, an insult, but sadly those in desperate need of work will apply, the blame for the low rate, I feel lies with the assembly line of so called Electricians that are rolled out every couple of weeks.

We've had an electrician and a fitter over from england at different times by coincidence they were both from the west brom area from different companies and they both said the rate of pay was terrible outside london.

christ. i was on that rate 30 years ago.
Yes that is about right, I was earning 25k a year 20 years ago for sure as an on site installation spark, the rates have hardly moved in the last 20 years, sub contracting is where the money is at today :smilewinkgrin:

Yes that is about right, I was earning 25k a year 20 years ago for sure as an on site installation spark, the rates have hardly moved in the last 20 years, sub contracting is where the money is at today :smilewinkgrin:

Bolleaux ...... Plumbing - with the emphasis on Gas & Central Heating.

Sorted!! :smug:

Bolleaux ...... Plumbing - with the emphasis on Gas & Central Heating.

Sorted!! :smug:

There is a firm down my way who mainly do boiler swaps for the likes of affordable warmth, eco or what ever scheme is running at the time and they get paid £130 for a one unit job (combi to combi) and do one a day. That money includes gas run if needs upgrading, vertical flues, condensate, etc.

Seems like the golden days for plumbers/gas installers is slowly declining as well.

I just turned down 4 weeks work doing nice clean work rubbing SWA in and cable tray etc, cheeky sods wanted to pay £15 per hour, 9 hour day, and have a 40 mile round trip, and knock off CIS. What s joke.

Use to be the elite of trades, sadly no longer the case.
A good plasterer can earn twice that rate without even breaking a sweat.
Its a joke yes, but who is the joke on ??

I just turned down 4 weeks work doing nice clean work rubbing SWA in and cable tray etc, cheeky sods wanted to pay £15 per hour, 9 hour day, and have a 40 mile round trip, and knock off CIS. What s joke.

So that's £108 after tax a day and you've got to pay your own juice out of that as well, hardly worth the hassle is it. You get enough of your own work in any way don't you?

What is it with you and CIS!! They don't take it off you and put it in their pocket. They pay it to HMRC. You are given a CIS Contractor Statement at the end of the month. If they deduct say £300 in CIS, it will be on this statement, keep it and hand in with your accounts. This will be taken into account in your year end accounts. It is just paying it upfront, no big deal.

Why are you even considering work for another company or agency if your an NIC Approved Contractor ?

The idea of being what you are is to get straight to the source of the money I would of thought.

I wasn't considering it, it was just someone offered it to me, the work was good but to be honest I make a lot more myself, I've got enough work coming in to keep me ticking along.

the CIS, I don't want someone else dealing with my tax affairs and would rather do it myself.

Reply to Is this a joke of a job advert? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net