Discuss Is this Fuse Box Legal? in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Contact your local Environmental Health department. A lot of people don't realise that they have powers to deal with this sort of thing so get on to them ASAP mate.
Let us know what develops

£150 !!!!....... more like pesetas. a 1st year apprentice would know better.

that's not right, not going to say anything else as people that do these kind of things sometimes go running to lawyers and I'm not going to get sued by this person,who will find out about this forum because he or she will end up googling around....... that looks like somebody has bought it from a DIY shop and the rest is obvious.....

Thank you all for your replies I am by no means qualified and wouldnt have a clue about it, but it looked wrong even to me!

I have been telling them about this problem since we moved in and I have in an email the landlord saying it was OK, so I thought nothing of it until this week.

Would this set up have an impact on power useage?

I am going to report this ASAP. This is next to the gas pipe, so if it sets on fire the whole place could go up!

I have taken a new close up picture for you all:

Is this Fuse Box Legal? 2012-09-27-080 - EletriciansForums.net

Could you legally issue your landlord an ultimatum stating that IF THEY don't get it fixed within 10 days you will organise the remedial works, pay the electrician out of your rental and pay the next months minus the costs.

Work like this is so bad and there should be a "body" with teeth who will sort out the cowboys.

NB: Writing to Dominic Littlewood may be a good idea and the landlord may have "previous"

Absolutely no excuse we seem to be seeing more and more bodge jobs on this forum why couldn't he move the consumer unit so at least the tails were inside the unit and properly crimped depending how the old cables came down you can sometimes get some slack so no need for extending .

- - - Updated - - -

Absolutely no excuse we seem to be seeing more and more bodge jobs on this forum why couldn't he move the consumer unit so at least the tails were inside the unit and properly crimped depending how the old cables came down you can sometimes get some slack so no need for extending .

That is bad and if it is an electrician that's completed that then its even more shocking.

Get a good electrician out to make a report about the matter and send it off recorded post or deliver it yourself. They could do a visual inspection which would seem ideal for this situation and wouldnt cost that much, although who knows what the rest of the installtion is like...

Just when I thought I'd seen it all, Jubilee clips??? Oh dear oh dear!!!

There's no mention of when this was replaced, going by it being a 16th CU and having spare red & black it may be before part P.
the bottom ring looks like its getting hot on the choc block as red is getting light in colour but too many faults to list and only one problem why was it not put back in the same place as it looks like the cables may well have all reached without extending..crazy bit of planning there.

Not sure if anyone has pointed out the obvious to the OP.

DANGER: DO NOT TOUCH OR GO NEAR THE SILVER SCREWS ON THE CHOCBLOCK. NOT EVEN WITH A FEATHER DUSTER OR ANYTHING ELSE. THE SCREWS ARE LIVE!
Make sure that everyone else who uses the property/cleans knows about this.

I thought it was flex

red and black with bare CPC?

It's not fine and where do you start when listing the faults???

Extension of the 3 circuits is wrong (should be at the very least inside an adaptable box....i'd crimp/wago rather than chocblok aswell)
No earth sleeving.
Abit unclear as picture is blurred but if one of those circuits is a ringmain (32a mcb feed) then the single 2.5 T&E cable extending it is wrong.
Blank missing in consumer unit
Numerous labels missing
Jubilee clips to extend the main earth?...thats a first for me

no doubt the list will go on when people with sharper eyes have a peek

Some of the points mentioned, although true, are not going to impact the safety of the installation (although, only a thorough inspection and test could prove that it is safe).

With regards to the photo, my only concerns would be:

No enclosure for joint cables. These are not likely to cause any severe damage or injury, unless you mess with them.

Blank missing from DB. This is an extreme hazard if you are feeling your way around the DB in the dark, or fancy sticking your finger in.

The ring main as mentioned, may not be as bad as first looks. To me, the cables used to extend the circuits look bigger than 2.5mm2, so may comply with current carrying capacities. Even if it is 2.5mm2, it is an extremely short run and has a current carrying capacity of 27 amps, and you are unlikely to exceed this amount for extended periods of time. If it is overloaded, it is only going to run warm and reduce the life of the cable. It is not going to burst into flames.

As others have said, get it reported and insist they rectify it promptly. I would also insist on a certificate for the installation.

Not so much the consumer unit mate, but the strip of expose connector is the dangerous part.

Get him to sort them now!!!

Other than that is there an association he belongs to, because looking at that he is risking killing people
dont know dave...check out the missing blank....

Reply to Is this Fuse Box Legal? in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock