Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

Discuss Is this NICIEC extractor fan installation safe? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. David Thomas

David Thomas EF Member

Hi,

Quick Q from a newbie. I had a NICIEC registered electrician install an isolation switch and extractor fan in my downstairs bathroom. I’m now replacing one of the down lights and found what is a surprising mess of wires in the false ceiling, all joined together with a terminal block (centre is neutral, left and right are live).

The grey cable leads to the isolation switch and the terminal block has been installed by the electricians. They’ve twisted the earth wire onto an existing twisted arrangement.

Is this safe/correct? I found it surprising from an Australian perspective but am open to being told that this is how things are done in Britain.

If this isn’t right, what should I do before adding the downloght? Put the terminal block in a junction box? Solder then sleeve twisted earthing wires?

My wife is back in an hour and I want everything back in the ceiling then, so prompt responses appreciated!

003C95EE-F332-4C1D-8622-5C8343E29349.jpeg

C3B358A2-435D-4924-8235-D501534F42AF.jpeg

1168CB1C-B024-486D-A8A0-5C1058A3C8FF.jpeg

• Creative Creative x 1
  2. MFS Electrical

MFS Electrical Forum Mentor

Business Name:
    MFS Electrical
    Call back the cowboy that done that and tel him to fix it. Where do i start?

And btw: Hi and welcome to the forum, apologies it wasn’t the prompt reply you were after

• Agree Agree x 6
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
  3. MFS Electrical

Business Name:
    MFS Electrical
    The connections need to be enclosed in a suitable enclosure i.e a junction box, which will have to be maintenance free if it isn’t accessible and that is not an acceptable way to joint CPCs (earths) The NICEIC has a platinum promise so call up the guy who did this and tell him you’ll be sending pics to the niceic if he doesn’t get his butt back and sort it the way it should be done, also if he refuses to come back and sort it. Get on the phone to the NICEIC and make sure they send out someone who will do it right, their platinum promise thing means they will send someone else to do it for free if the original contractor won’t/can’t fix it.

Edit; after another look I have spotted some copper showing on the black termination to the far right for which there is no excuse and also the lack of proper identification of the cores i.e sleeving not to mention the obvious lack of sleeving for the CPCs

And personally I don’t think you should add anything to it until that mess has been rectified.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
  4. Dazza1976

Dazza1976 Regular EF Member

If that’s a NICEIC electrician that installed that, he should be shot !!
    Agree with MFS reply

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
  5. MFS Electrical

Business Name:
    MFS Electrical
    Unfortunately this seems to be an all to regular occurrence these days....

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. buzzlightyear

buzzlightyear still kicking sand, before pushing up daisies . Electrician's Arms

I can only apologise for a fellow spark has done .and you have the write to complain .send me his details and I will make sure that my big boots are on to kick him or she up the A77.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. MFS Electrical

Business Name:
    MFS Electrical
    I wouldn’t call the nugget that did this a spark any day of the week. I didn’t realise you have to write to complain that’s good to know for the future.

OP did you receive any sort of certificate for the work that had been done?

• Optimistic Optimistic x 3
  8. buzzlightyear

buzzlightyear still kicking sand, before pushing up daisies . Electrician's Arms

if you wear the badge of the NICEIC you should wear it with pride if they can not do a proper job, may be they should stack beans in Tesco's.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  9. MFS Electrical

Business Name:
    MFS Electrical
    Unfortunately too many nuggets use it to get work that they’d otherwise miss out on.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Strima

Strima Electrician's Arms

That is rough and needs sorting out. Get him back to do it or raise a complaint with the NICEIC.

• Agree Agree x 4
  11. Archy Styrigg

Archy Styrigg Electrician's Arms

Sod that, I like my tins undamaged, ta very much :D

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

The OP should send a copy of this information to the NICEIC in Luton, Marked for the attention of Emma Clancy - CEO ...

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. buzzlightyear

she will say take it up with the sparky who did the job .me try watchdog.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

And send a copy to Watch Dog - make sure the NICEIC know this is happening

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Sintra

Sintra The Innkeeper Staff Member Admin

I would suggest that those connector blocks have been there before your electrician was it looks like the 3 white cables have at one time been a lighting point. However your electrician should not have added his new cable into that lot in that way. For the sake of a small enclosure a bit of sleeving and a few MF connectors it could have been done correctly.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 3