Discuss is this normal or are these cowboys? in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Installer is a member of NAPIT apparently. Is this so bad that I should be worried?

You can contact napit to confirm their membership and with any concerns including the withholding of certificates or job dissatisfaction and that should serve as a gentle prod to the installer.

Is this so bad that I should be worried?

Purposely replying to this part of your question, just because it is not neat, doesn't mean it's unsafe.

I thing you need to get your snagging list together and have that completed. It may be that you would have to employ another electrician to inspect this work, to get a real sense of whether this rewire has been correctly done. Making any assessment by looking at pictures, is not the way it should be done. As your electrician is registered with Napit, there may be a facility for them to have a view, but I suspect they will say the contract is between you & your electrician. But you can complain to them, they will have a complaints procedure.

There is no mcb cover on the board. No fire barrier in the ceiling. Can you show a pic of the cutout to see how it is earthed. Earth terminal needs a warning notice. Agree with Midwest, untidy doesn't mean unsafe but it certainly reflects the standard of work.

Having seen the pictures I concur it certainly is untidy...or as a tradesman would say rough. I would say there are a few things that we could probably point too as areas for attention. Nothing life threatening but I would be giving Napit a call if the electrician does not provide you with a satisfactory job. Personally I don't like the way the cables are just slung in and also the routing around the copper pipe is...."interesting". I don't know weather you should be worried...but if this is the "best" part of the install then it certainly does not look great.
On balance I think my advice would be to get an independent report done by another electrician. I know this may cost you another £150 or even more depending on the size of the installation needing checked...But for that you should then be armed with a report listing the faults that need rectifying if any. As said maybe NAPIT would send someone out from their own list to check it over so no need for you to pay for another independent electrician.
I suppose it all depends on if you are still willing to let the electrician involved to rectify any issues...if the relationship has broken down then you can only call NAPIT - email them those pictures if the facility allows. Maybe someone on here who is with NAPIT knows more of their procedures.
Also could you try to get a better shot/picture of circuit 1 on the right (Cooker) - the red cable seems an odd color. At first glance it even looks like VIR.....which if it is needs replacing.

I think NAPIT'S response would be to discuss it with the contractor to try and resolve the issues before they got involved. Third party opinion is the way to to go but as you say this is another outlay which it may be possible to recoup.

Having seen the pictures I concur it certainly is untidy...or as a tradesman would say rough. I would say there are a few things that we could probably point too as areas for attention. Nothing life threatening but I would be giving Napit a call if the electrician does not provide you with a satisfactory job. Personally I don't like the way the cables are just slung in and also the routing around the copper pipe is...."interesting". I don't know weather you should be worried...but if this is the "best" part of the install then it certainly does not look great.
On balance I think my advice would be to get an independent report done by another electrician. I know this may cost you another £150 or even more depending on the size of the installation needing checked...But for that you should then be armed with a report listing the faults that need rectifying if any. As said maybe NAPIT would send someone out from their own list to check it over so no need for you to pay for another independent electrician.
I suppose it all depends on if you are still willing to let the electrician involved to rectify any issues...if the relationship has broken down then you can only call NAPIT - email them those pictures if the facility allows. Maybe someone on here who is with NAPIT knows more of their procedures.
Also could you try to get a better shot/picture of circuit 1 on the right (Cooker) - the red cable seems an odd color. At first glance it even looks like VIR.....which if it is needs replacing.
Do not get anyone else in to look at check etc on the installation do to do anymore work on it at all. Till napit have been in touch if you do let anyone else or do anymore work napit will wash there hands of it.

Do not get anyone else in to look at check etc on the installation do to do anymore work on it at all. Till napit have been in touch if you do let anyone else or do anymore work napit will wash there hands of it.
Why can't a third party "look" at it, we all are. I don't know much about NAPIT but are you saying they will intervene prior to negotiations between the op and contractor.

The guy is asking for payment before certificate and part P being issued to me. At least I know that's not the way round it should be. I seriously doubt whether I would get s**t in terms of documentation of I paid first.

Why shouldn't he ask for payment before issuing the certificate? it can take weeks for the part P schemes to issue their papaerwork so why should an electrician have to suffer through their incompetence?

NAPIT won't do anything, I've tried getting them to show an interest in a dangerous installation in the past and all they say is that you have to speak to the installer.

Why can't a third party "look" at it, we all are. I don't know much about NAPIT but are you saying they will intervene prior to negotiations between the op and contractor.
Have been though this with someone who had a very dangerous install done. And because a 3rd party i.e. Me had been to the property napit said there is nothing they can do. Customer had no choice as the cooker casing was live.

NAPIT won't do anything, I've tried getting them to show an interest in a dangerous installation in the past and all they say is that you have to speak to the installer.
Thought as much, have had this with NICEIC. Tried to report a fused neutral single phase submain, not interested.

God awful, I couldn't imagine doing a board to that standard let alone leaving it as finished and demanding payment! Even the circuit names look like ----!

Obviously without seeing the install up close in full then its always going to be difficult to make an informed opinion.
But in answer to your thread title, my initial instinct based on your pictures and what information you have presented thus far is -yes it looks like the said installer is a cowboy or at least not conscientious about his workmanship. At this point I'd probably get a second opinion from another electrician and then give the original installer a chance to rectify any problems.

asa bove.^^^. an independent visual inspection before you've made them final payment would not cost a lot, especially if . say, one of us were close to you. maybe you could post your location and see?

If you ring NAPIT and give all the details re the Electrician and your property they will tell you over the phone if Building control have or are being notified!

It's all too late. I have made the final payment.

A second opinion on the safety of lack thereof would be helpful. If anyone cover s the Ipswich area could give me an idea of what you'd charge to do an inspection of the work that would be good.

Reply to is this normal or are these cowboys? in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net