Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

Discuss Isolation for under worktop appliances ? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Soulsurfer

Soulsurfer Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    M.B.S ELECTRICAL
    Hey all,

Quick ask,
    Client has say larder fridge or dishwasher under worktop in kitchen or in unit. Do you fit a d.p. switch or sfcu above worktop on wall to isolate without needing to pull out appliance ? or is it to belt & braces ? I thought that it was regs or OSG listed but not sure. I've always done it but client would rather no extra switches on kitchen wall above counters or Bunker as my Scotty wife calls em ;-)

• Like Like x 1
  2. Had8Lives

Had8Lives Electrician's Arms

Reg 537.2.1.2 states "Suitable means shall be provided to prevent any equipment from being inadvertently or unintentionally engergised" Page 154 in the Big Yellow Book ;-)or have a look at page 54 in the OSG.

I think you'd struggle to argue that the circuit breaker or fuse in the consumer unit was suitable, as it affects the rest of the circuit.

If the customer really refuses to have isolation switches get them so sign an agreement that says "I will not be ringing any electrician to rush out and deal with any tripping fault caused by any of my under counter kitchen appliances" lol :20:

3. Soulsurfer

Soulsurfer Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    M.B.S ELECTRICAL
    Ha ha brilliant, I'm good then.

4. Welchyboy1

Welchyboy1 Electrician's Arms

Put a socket in the next cupboard with a round hole underneath it big enough to fit the plug in, why mess about

• Like Like x 2
  5. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

If its a built in appliance, just point out to the customer that you will need tools to remove the appliance and therefore the socket will not be accessible - and thats why you can't do it!

6. Midwest

Midwest Electrician's Arms

Some customers are adamant that they do not wish to have above worktop DP sw, wanting a 'minimalist' look. A socket in an adjacent cupboard is an option, at least they can access it for isolation and deal with a blown fuse, which is not the case if the socket is behind a built-in appliance (if there's room anyway).

• Like Like x 2
  7. DPG

DPG Electrician's Arms

Unfortunately these days kitchens are not functional rooms, but fashion accessories owned by shallow insecure people to try and impress other shallow insecure people. Daz

• Like Like x 7
  8. a1guvner

a1guvner Electrician's Arms

I had customers like that in the past and sold them on the idea of a remote grid switch system to house switches and fuses

• Like Like x 1
  9. Midwest

Take you're not a minimalist materialist, then Daz? :biggrin:

• Like Like x 2
  10. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    my missus' idea of minimalistic is if you can see some worktop under all the clutter.

• Like Like x 5
  11. Midwest

I thought worktops were designed to put things on!

12. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    yeah. normal people put toasters and kettles on. apart from them, my better half adds ornaments, junk mail, clothes catalogues, and countless other bits of tat.

• Like Like x 2
  13. PEG

PEG Trusted Advisor

...That's playing at it...i've had an injured badger,in a childs' car seat,on mine...:smartass:

• Like Like x 1
  14. Richard Burns

Richard Burns Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    Richard Burns
    Very surreal

• Like Like x 1
  15. edexlab

edexlab Electrician's Arms

I did a job a few years ago in which the customer wanted no visible sockets etc
    Power was via pop up sockets and a couple behind a roller shutter cupboard
    She wouldn't have grid switches or anything in the lower cupboards most of which were drawers anyway

So with no other option that seemed feasible ,Sfcu's were positioned above the high level cupboards so they weren't visible
    So at least they were accessible albeit via steps!