Discuss Isolation switch for boiler supply? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

C

cadspark

Been asked to look at a house on a small development completed about 5 years ago. Really messy situation involving builders and houses having no completion certificates or even planning permission in one case. Gas central heating is installed but the boiler is wired up straight to a 6 amp circuit breaker with no means of isolating seperately. As the boiler and cu are both in the kitchen would you deem the circuit breaker as adequate as a means of isolation if not ideal as installing a switch would involve messy chasing and retiling work.?

Ideally a DP isolator must be fitted when doing an install.

However, if its already installed, then the Isolator in the CU should be sufficient.

The mcb won't give you the dp disconnect. 554.3.3

Is there any space behind the boiler cover or just under for a surface mount breaker?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ideally a DP isolator must be fitted when doing an install.

However, if its already installed, then the Isolator in the CU should be sufficient.

If my memory serves me correctly, isolation needs to be provided near to the boiler & this bust be by either a double pole switch or a plug top plugged into a socket. Either way, a 3 amp fuse should be fitted.

Ideally a DP isolator m̶u̶s̶t̶ should be fitted when doing an install.

The mcb won't give you the dp disconnect. 554.3.3

No, but the DP main switch will.

If my memory serves me correctly, isolation needs to be provided near to the boiler & this bust be by either a double pole switch or a plug top plugged into a socket. Either way, a 3 amp fuse should be fitted.
^^agree^^
Local isolation required.

The use of an MCB and/or main switch and/or RCD is a perfectly acceptable means of switching off an appliance for mechanical maintainence. Nowhere does it state in BS 7671 that switching off
/isolation for mechanical maintainence must be provided locally. As stated above, isolation can be achieved via the DP main switch.

In response to the OP, if the CU is readily accessible then the install complies with Reg
132.15.2 so no need to fit any other switches.

Last edited:
- a device for switching off for mechanical maintenance shall be so placed and durably marked so as to be readily identifiable and convenient for intended use.

So a cb would be ok, but would need to be identified at the boiler.

You are correct, hence why I said that if the CU was readily accessible, then no other switch needed. But you're right in the sense that it is common practice (often a must) to provide a local means of switching off, just not on this occasion.

Yes. I have now read that part of your post. Lol.
My mistake.

Although, I do have my doubts a boiler engineer will be able to find the boiler circuit LOL

If the dist board is local to boiler can you not fit a surface fcu labeled up, at the dist board - dp local isolation minimal disruption in the event of needing to isolate the boiler and no chasing

If the dist board is local to boiler can you not fit a surface fcu labeled up, at the dist board - dp local isolation minimal disruption in the event of needing to isolate the boiler and no chasing

What would be the point of that when the boiler is on an MCB anyway?

dp local isolation

And what is it with this phrase?! It's so commonly used and yet nowhere in the BGB does this phrase appear! :D

Last edited:
And the British gas bloke is going to find the mcb before he isolates the down ring/kitchen ring/intruder alarm I guess?
Isolates ALL live conductors
faulty boiler n-e problems can be isolated minimising disruption in the event of a fault
complies with manufactures instructions
3A fuse
................:clap:

Been asked to look at a house on a small development completed about 5 years ago. Really messy situation involving builders and houses having no completion certificates or even planning permission in one case. Gas central heating is installed but the boiler is wired up straight to a 6 amp circuit breaker with no means of isolating seperately. As the boiler and cu are both in the kitchen would you deem the circuit breaker as adequate as a means of isolation if not ideal as installing a switch would involve messy chasing and retiling work.?

Gas regulations require that gas boilers must be protected by a 3A fuse.

From a purely electrical / 7671 pov you could use the MCB as an isolator, but you would still have to fit an unswFCU with a 3A fuse. So you might as well fit a swFCU, preferably a DP one.

Reply to Isolation switch for boiler supply? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock