Discuss Isolation switch for rewire/new CU in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Are we required to install an isolation switch between the meter and CU when completing a full rewire and/or CU upgrade, I think it's best practise, mate's/colleagues think unnecessary, customers don't like paying for it!

Opinions please

Not necessary. But you have to ask yourself how you will isolate the supply when making the change of consumer unit.
You would need to have the supply comany come to site to cut the seal and isolate the supply by removing the fuse in the cut-out.
So, best option is for the supply company (not "we") to supply an isolation switch.

Are we required to install an isolation switch between the meter and CU when completing a full rewire and/or CU upgrade, I think it's best practise, mate's/colleagues think unnecessary, customers don't like paying for it!
no is the answer ,by saying that the only people for putting I a isolator is the people who put smart meters in or the DNO just I case you want to up grade the cu or added loads so you don't have to get the fairy seals in .

Always found it puzzling yet amusing to read on a electricians forum, paying someone to install a item that is part of your skill set

How about,save money and fit it yourself, or save even more money,work live if its necessary and fit no isolation

Always found it puzzling yet amusing to read on a electricians forum, paying someone to install a item that is part of your skill set

How about,save money and fit it yourself, or save even more money,work live if its necessary and fit no isolation

Read from the top buddy, that's exactly what I'm saying

Read from the top buddy, that's exactly what I'm saying

The post was not aimed at you or of any sort of personal nature,if it was personal or aimed at your posts I would have quoted the posts

It was my thoughts and opinion on a thread subject that has appeared many times buddy
Or rather appeared many times Karl

Supply company require £60 +Vat to do it though and have a 2 to 3 week waiting list,

So pay them £60 and book it more than 3 weeks before you need it done, simples.

£60 sounds pretty cheap to me for a decent isolator and an hours labour (including travelling) plus the overheads that such a large company must have. I think if I was to price it up as a job I’d be a bit higher.

fitting the isolator is a straight forward task. The issue is do you have a visit from the seal fairy or do you get the dno out to pull the fuse and if you have got things ready to connect up (ie tails and isolator on wall ready) then you can do it whilst they wait, just boil the kettle first and make them a cup of tea!
i did just that recently, Western Power came out pulled an old fuse i didn't think the seal fairy would like! I also managed to avoid the customer getting billed as i told the dno i had concerns about the condition of the cut out so they sent an engineer to assess and pull fuse at same time :D and i connected an isolator up then changed the tails between it and the meter ready for a pending CU change in a couple of weeks. guy was happy to sit drinking tea and scoffing biscuits and chat whilst i did it. it saves them having to come back out later in the day so are usually happy to do it.
Western Power Distribution usually charge £63+vat to pull the fuse unless you can wrangle it for free- usually depends on if you speak to call centre or a local engineer office.
fitting an isolator is £167 + Vat
So you can see it makes sense to get fuse pulled by DNO and fit it yourself

fitting the isolator is a straight forward task. The issue is do you have a visit from the seal fairy or do you get the dno out to pull the fuse and if you have got things ready to connect up (ie tails and isolator on wall ready) then you can do it whilst they wait, just boil the kettle first and make them a cup of tea!
i did just that recently, Western Power came out pulled an old fuse i didn't think the seal fairy would like! I also managed to avoid the customer getting billed as i told the dno i had concerns about the condition of the cut out so they sent an engineer to assess and pull fuse at same time :D and i connected an isolator up then changed the tails between it and the meter ready for a pending CU change in a couple of weeks. guy was happy to sit drinking tea and scoffing biscuits and chat whilst i did it. it saves them having to come back out later in the day so are usually happy to do it.
Western Power Distribution usually charge £63+vat to pull the fuse unless you can wrangle it for free- usually depends on if you speak to call centre or a local engineer office.
fitting an isolator is £167 + Vat
So you can see it makes sense to get fuse pulled by DNO and fit it yourself
you do know were aloud to cut the lead seals ourselves with permission from distributor?

True ................ but they don't make it straightforward for us to deal with them do they?
Ukpn were really helpful, it was easy to get to someone who knew their stuff and the came and replaced the whole cutout pretty quickly, on the other Hend the energy supplier didn't have a clue, eventually agreed to fit an isolator at a cost, then forgot to charge us. So i think it must gf depend a lot on your local area.

Reply to Isolation switch for rewire/new CU in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock