• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Isolation Switches for New Consumer Unit in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Electron

-
Arms
Reaction score
I ask customers to get their electricity supplier to fit an isolation switch so that I can safely isolate the supply while I fit a new consumer unit.
This must be a common request but my customers usually recieive a response as if no one has ever before asked for one.
This is part of an email just recieved from a customer:

Our current energy supplier Eon has been useless at enabling the installation of an isolator switch. After spending two hours on hold being shuttled between departments I gave up on them and we are in the process of switching to N Power who have a dedicated phone number for the service and will install the switch for free. I understand from N Power that it takes a maximum of 28 days to switch to them and 10 working days to install the switch once we are a customer and can request it.

Do other electricians have similar problems?

Why don't they all have a standard service charge and time to install?
Some install within a couple of days.
Some charge and some don't.
Has anyone any suggestion to improve the situation?
Perhaps a complaint to Ofgem?

I don't suffer these issues as I don't go down that route.
Ill fit an isolator if the dno are in to change the head, a quite common occurrence, or even leave it with them to fit.

Sit your assessor down on your knee and read him a story

Isolation Switches for New Consumer Unit {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

If I'm doing this, I normally arrange for the DNO to come and pull the fuse and I have a shiney new isolator installed (with tails ready to be connected to the meter) waiting for them. I ask them if they can reseal the meter and check the connections for me and if they can hang around while I do that. It gets connected, they check it, reseal it, put the fuse back in and everyone is happy. This approach can save your customer having to have two visits (billed per visit).

If the seals are already missing, I'll pull the fuse myself (making sure there is no load on the system and the fuse carrier is in good shape) but I wouldn't cut them off myself. Instead, pull it, phone the DNO and tell them the seals are off and have them come and reseal it.

And yes, some suppliers fit them quick, some do it for free, and some haven't got a clue :)

The DNO here (NIE) tried telling a customer that the Electrician fits the isolator and not them. They didn't explain how this could be done with their supply being energised, of course...

This could get cause problems on my annual inspection. Q "How did you isolate the power?" A "The tooth fairy pulled it out."
You must goto enough jobs to have one that doesnt require pulling a DNO fuse, and seeing as the scams allow YOU to choose which job to goto take them to one of them.

This could get cause problems on my annual inspection. Q "How did you isolate the power?" A "The tooth fairy pulled it out."

Never been asked on an assessment, they know what goes on and dont care. if they do ask just tell them the dno or supplier fitted the isolator! end of... as long as the fuse is not an old one and looks in good condition, as long as the main switch is off and there is no load you should be okay. but only you cna decide if you want to pull it or not.

Reply to Isolation Switches for New Consumer Unit in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back